Builder

Re: [CHAT] I'm out of time, all the time!

Gah, sorry, something came up with uni and I'm low key stressing out but I'm back!

What do you do to stay organised at school, uni, work or in your personal life?

I used to have massive anxiety about my studies, so for the past maybe 5 years I have always planned out what I would do in my diary. I used to rely on it heavily; if it wasn't in my diary, I wouldn't do it, which can be a very bad thing when you think about it. Leaves no room for spontaneity, and a lot of room for anxiety!

Now, I do more of a general plan, like on Mondays I study -this- subject's lectures, on Tuesdays, I don't have much time so I'll only do a bit, if any. On Wednesday, I have more time so I'll do -these- things, etc. So my life becomes sort of routine, but I also leave extra days (like Sunday) where I can catch up on stuff if I didn't get around to doing it on the days I planned. It's much better and I find myself relying less and less on my diary.

-------------------------
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” - Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Mod

I have a diary where I write down what needs to be done and by when. I'm very much a paper-based person so I print out my lecture notes and put them in colour-coded folders for each of my subjects. It's much easier having everything I need in the one location Smiley Happy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Mod

I ask myself this everyday because so many people seem to be under the illusion that I am an organised person but most of the time I don't feel organised at all! For starters, I try to stick with the attitude, just do it and try not to get stuck overthinking things so much that I'm not actually doing anything. I am also a list person. I find it really helpful being able to see things on a piece of paper and tick things off as I go, otherwise if I leave everything in my head I feel overwhelmed by all the things I feel like I need to do and am more likely to forget things. 

Builder

I go in blind and hope Smiley Happy .  I find that schedules help and having incentives for doing stuff helps me to keep on top of them.

Builder

@lokifish I love minimising paper usage, but I too am a very pen-and-paper person! WHile everyone is tapping away on their keyboards I am always furiously scribbling down messy notes in my book Smiley LOL

But yes sometimes I have to write out what I want to do, the writing makes me visualise and process my tasks
-------------------------
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” - Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Mod

@Chloee all good! Hopefully the uni stuff sorts itself out! I rely on my diary to help manage my anxiety too - now that you point it out it may not always be the most useful strategy Smiley Tongue

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Mod

Also, take breaks, eat well, sleep well, practice self care! You might feel like you are wasting time when you're really busy and have a lot to get done, but it clears your head and actually helps you get more done faster. 

Builder

Hey everyone!

For me, I find using a combination of my Calendar (on my phone) and a to-do list app really helps. On my calendar I can see when everything is due and when stuff is happening, and then the more urgent or closer events are on my to-do list. However, when I start coming into exam periods, that is when I will create an actual, physical scheduale of when I am doing everything. I will stick it up on my wall and cross off each day until it's done (a little bit of motivation Smiley Tongue)

And for my personal and work life.... well it sort of just fits in when it can Smiley LOL

Builder

That's way I do too @Randomness ! When there is a gazillion things to get done, I prioritise what I need to do, then don't do it till the next day. Otherwise all the work I do is rubbish and I have to do it all over again.
Mod

@Randomness so true! I find that going for a short walk in between study sessions means I actually retain more info than cramming for hours on end

@tomo_13 good to see you! I like how you adapt your approach depending on the circumstances - and get the best of both worlds using technology and old fashioned paper Smiley Happy

Top High Fived Authors