Builder

Re: [CHAT] I went looking for help and didn't find it

Thanks @stonepixie I think the last one is a pretty big deal for me and probably a lot of other people
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

Good point on the meds, @Ben-RO! I think it is important to note that medication isn't for eveyone and you shouldn't feel bad for needing it.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Builder

There was time this year where I felt like I didn't really have a choice over whether or not I wanted to take medication and I felt a bit voiceless and that I couldn't say no but I'm glad I feel a little bit better about it now @stonepixie @Ben-RO
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

Heya @Bay52VU! Confidentiality is super important too, particularly in building that rapport and increasing trust with the person that you're confiding in.

Mod

That sounds awful @j95Smiley Sad

Glad you're feeling better now though!

Mod

Most definitely, @j95!

I went to a place where the people on the front desk didn't even know the client names. I thought that was pretty badass!

But also, as someone training up in the field, you should know that not only are they breaking your trust if they do that, they are breaking the law to a certain extent, excluding duty of care.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Mod

It sounds like being listened to and not judged, honesty/provision of information, and going at a pace that suits your needs are very important when seeking help.

Next question time:

Have you had a good experience seeking help? What made it good? 

Community Manager

That's a good point @Bay52VU regarding hopefully feeling a bit better after, this is one of the reasons why i kind of like the idea of being told how it will help and the process, that way if i know if it's going to get a little worse before it gets better that this is okay- if stressful. 

Mod

What are some of your expectations when seeking help? This can be if you've done it many times before or even just thinking about getting some help for the first time.

I'd say an expectation would definitely be that my feelings/experiences would be validated. I would expect my concerns to be taken seriously no matter how trivial they might seem to other people. I'd hope that the person I'd turned to would listen to me without judgement and would be reliable e.g. keeping an appointment if we make one.

So far I've been really lucky and when I've sought help from various people, I've felt nothing but love and support from the people around me. 

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Builder

Hey everyone Cat Happy

What are some of your expectations when seeking help? This can be if you've done it many times before or even just thinking about getting some help for the first time.

Hmm. I'm not really sure... I guess if I was talking to a professional I would expect them to be;

• Patient
  • Understanding
  • Just listen, I guess
  • Maybe give advice depending on the circumstances

But I'm not really sure personally, it's been good to read other people's answers Smiley Tongue

Top High Fived Authors