Mod

Re: [CHAT] I went looking for help and didn't find it

Good point, @Asche!

Sometimes our parents don't know what to do and other times they freak out because they know what to do, but there is no service near by or they can't believe it is happening to their child as well.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Builder

yeah it really isn't the counsellors fault @Ben-RO its funding and staffing and all that, but nothing wrong with giving letter writing a go so that some changes can maybe be made
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Builder

Does the fear of a bad experience put you off seeking help? What are some ways to combat this fear?

I think that fear of a bad experience is one of many things that can put you off seeking help, because seeking help can be pretty scary, especially the first time. The only thing I can think of to combat this is to 'feel the fear and do it anyway' which doesn't seem particularly helpful, so what does everyone else think?

Community Manager

[ Edited ]

Does the fear of a bad experience put you off seeking help?

Of course it does! Especially if you have never asked for help before, you might think all help is not so good!

What are some ways to combat this fear?

Get someone like me on the forums or a mental health advocate to help you understand and support you to find the right help and understand your rights. That way you can tell if a service is up to scratch, look for a different one, or ask for the service you're currently accessing to give you the help you need. 

Mod

@Ben-RO thnk you for sharing that link! Empowerment and knowing info like that can be really effective in combating fear, uncertainty and frustration.

Mod

Does the fear of a bad experience put you off seeking help? What are some ways to combat this fear?

It did to a certain extent, but it was mainly the fear of the stereotypes being true that put me off seeking help. I overcame this by researching services that may be of help to me and then when I had a moment of courage, I got in contact with a service and haven't looked back since.

So in short, if you have a moment of courage, use it and take the plunge. 

Of course, it doesn't always have to be a service, it can be a trusted friend or adult in your life.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Mod

Gah stuck at uni! From what I've scanned, some great responses and looking forward to reading them all later.
Community Manager

Maybe we should do more in our community to help people understand their rights and what to expect when they ask for help? What do you folks reckon? 

Builder

So true @stonepixie it doesn't have to be a service, the first person I ever spoke to about not good stuff was a teacher at school!
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Builder

Definitely agree with that one! @Ben-RO
Top High Fived Authors