Mod

Re: [CHAT] I went looking for help and didn't find it

Has anything we have discussed tonight changed your mind about getting help and how to go about it?

I think hearing other people's stories and reflecting on my own experiences has helped me to realise (if I become a psychologist) how important it is to not take it personally when a client no longer wants to see you or does not make another appointment with you. You really cannot know what is going on in their lives or their reason for not seeing you again. It certainly doesn't mean you are bad at your job! This would be a really challenging aspect of the job though - you might often wonder what happened to clients..

Also @Bay52VU's comments about researching different options is some good advice - I have never done this before and have always just gone with what the GP sends me off to. Maybe in the future I would consider doing some research before seeing someone Smiley Happy

Builder

Has anything we have discussed tonight changed your mind about getting help and how to go about it?

Not really, and thats a good thing because I'm pretty happy with how things are going for me with getting help. Hopefully there is someone out there who is thinking about getting help for the first time and this has had a positive impact on
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Builder

Not really changed my mind about it, but I have a better idea of how I'd want to go about trying to get professional help again if I decided I wanted to.

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________
Mod

@May_ I was just thinking the same thing (as a hopeful future psychologist)!

Mod

@khaleesi_18 haha future psychologist minds think alike Smiley Wink 

Mod

Alright that is about all that we have time for tonight. Thanks everyone for jumping on and participating in this discussion. Below is a summary of what we spoke about.

We opened the conversation with our expectations on help seeking.

We all agreed that it was good to be understood and taken seriously, to be given information to all the options to make an informed decision, such as different types of therapy including medication and conversation.

We also wanted to feel safe, listened to and respected as well as being informed of confidentiality and that we are in control of our treatment. 

Following this, we spoke about good experiences we have had.

Not all of us have had good experiences with the professionals, but that is okay since everyone has a different view on what is good and what is help seeking.

Those that didn’t find it helpful to talk to the professionals, did find it helpful to talk to their friends group.

Also being told that the problem is the problem, not the problem is me.

Next we moved onto talking about not so great experience.

It was discussed that wait times can be off putting, but it is important to note that it is outside of the counsellors control.

Not connecting with the counsellor that we are assigned was another biggie. Also it should be noted that not everyone is going to “connect” with the first counsellor they are given and not to give up hope if that is the case and to just request another counsellor at reception.

Sometimes it can be that the first place we go for help is our parents and they don’t know what to do. (if you are a parent/guardian reading this, please feel free to pop over to our parents site)

The fear of bad experiences was talked about and how to combat them by knowing your rights and responsibilities (RO factsheet) as well as acting on moments of courage.

If you are feeling ill towards your counsellor, then it is probably time to move onto another one. Remember to be vocal about your concerns, after all, they want what is best for you.

It can also be time to move on to another counsellor when there is a topic you feel as though you can’t talk to them about or they brush over it even though it is really important to you.

Requesting a new counsellor is nothing to feel guilty about, after all, you are in control of your sessions and you know you best.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Mod

[ Edited ]

@khaleesi_18 aw, thanks! Might have to work a bit on the concision though. Still getting used to being a Builder, and I have a tendency to being overly wordy. But hey, it's all part of the learning process! Smiley Tongue

Re: Has anything we have discussed tonight changed your mind about getting help and how to go about it?

I wasn't really expecting it, but yes, actually! There were a  few things I hadn't really considered up until this point -like Ben's point about making sure that helpseekers knew all their rights. Definitely something to keep in mind- both for myself and when I'm recommending avenues of helpseeking to other people in the futu

Mod

Thanks for the chat everyone it has been very interesting!

Goodnight!! Cat Very Happy

Builder

thanks everyone for coming
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Community Manager

Thanks so much for coming everybody! And a special thanks to @j95 @khaleesi_18 and @stonepixie for running the show tonight! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stuff that's happening on the forums:
Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count