Mod

Re: [CHAT] Learning to love yourself when you loathe yourself

Hi @loves netball! You're very welcome here! We love having you around! Thanks for your input. All of those things you've said are really important! 

Why is being kind to ourselves important?

Being kind to ourself is really important for our wellbeing. If we're not, we stop looking after ourselves mentally and physically and we suffer because of it. Being kind to ourselves allows us to be the best version of ourselves. Plus it's really hard to love others if you don't love yourself. 

Builder

It can help us have a more positive wellbeing including better mental health. It is important to look after yourself to avoid doing too much and burning out. It can also help us form better relationships
Mod

@j95 that's a good point - you might compromise yourself in relationships or let yourself be treated badly if you aren't kind to yourself. You might think that's all you deserve, when nobody deserves to be treated badly in any relationship

Mod

@May_ YES! Believing in ourselves makes it so much easier to face our fears and do things. I'm learning this in a very real way right now! 

Loving all the mentions of improving our wellbeing, respecting ourselves and not getting ourselves into too much stuff and burning out - something I am guilty of! 

Mod

@Randomness I've definitely been guilty of taking on too much and burning out! Self-love and self-care have really defined the boundaries of what I can and can't do 

Mod

[ Edited ]

Hey guys! Jumping in here a tad late because I had to finish dinner first

What is self-love? 

I think self-love is accepting yourself. That doesn't mean that you have to be content with the way you are, but it's about being aware of what you are and acknowlegding the good parts of you. 
It's like the way you approach buying a new shirt from a shop. Self love is going in, knowing what looks nice on, knowing what you like, and going for the size that you are. Compared to grabbing a size that you know is too small but you think would make you feel better to fit into, or grabbing things to try on that you don't really like but everyone else likes on them. 
I'm hoping that this suddenly thought of analogy makes some sense to someone. 

Being kind to ourselves is important because there isn't a subsitute for it. We are the most important people in our lives, and we need to be on our sides in order to continue to be all of the good things that make us us. 

Mod

Hey @Birdeye!! I like the clothing analogy, and it translates well literally - self-love would mean having a more realistic view of how you look, including not being ashamed of the size or shape you are

Mod

Welcome @Birdeye

I love what you said there being no subsitute for self-love. I hadn't thought of it that way but part of the reason we need to do it is because we are the only ones that can and that's a really profound thought! I also got your analogy haha I feel like its much harder to do in practice though, I always hate shopping especially if im feeling particularly bad about myself it just makes it worse. I realise that though so I think it's okay and im trying to be better at it!

Mod

Believing in ourselves can make it easier to face our fears @May_ Love that!!

Super star contributor

I don't believe people should be nice to me if I'm not nice to myself. But then it can be tempting to do the opposite - if people aren't nice to us, then we might not be kind to ourselves. 

Top High Fived Authors