Community Manager

Re: [CHAT] Pets! Pets! Pets!

@FootyFan26 such a great kitty! And it plays fetch?! coool

Builder

@Ben-RO he's very cuddly but he's batshit crazy!
Mod

Cats play fetch? Whaaattt???? This is the first I've heard
Mod

Wow. @FootyFan26 I'm suddenly very disappointed with my cat's inability to play fetch! Smiley Tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

Okay, loving all the answers so far! Pets are great! However, our next question is....

What are the challenges of having and taking care of a pet? 

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Builder

The financial cost eg. vet bills, food etc. The fact that they're reliant on you so you can't just stop taking care of them if you don't feel like it and when you accidentally leave the back door closed and there's no kitty litter inside... :/
Builder

The 'taking care of a pet' part is the hard bit. I mean it can be fun, like taking them for walks and stuff, but there's also tricky stuff like taking to them to the vet and stuff. When a pet gets sick (or in my case eaten by a fox. chickens + railway line = foxes and a bad idea) that can be sad and challenging Smiley Sad

Builder

And dealing with their death.
Mod

Aside from all the costs and cleaning up their messes there are two things that constantly play on my mind about having a pet

1. I have to actually take this being into account for their entire life. I can't leave the country for 6 months letting them know that everything is fine. I can't move country (or even house) as easily as I could if I were petless. I have to think about their wellbeing in it all, because I don't want to miss out on living elsewhere, but I don't want to leave them in quarantine for, well, any amount of time really, and I would feel so horrible if I had to surrender them.

2. I get so much guilt about them. I just sometimes think about them and their lives and I feel so bad for how reliant upon me they are and how bored and alone they must get at least sometimes.
Mod

Definitely. The loss of a pet can be one of the hardest things to overcome/accept, especially when they're often such a big part of our lives. When I lost my last cat, something that really helped me was having a picture of him and I developed and keeping it on my desk. It kind of gave the event some lasting significance, if that makes sense.

Does anyone else have any tips/ideas for dealing with the loss of a pet? 

Top High Fived Authors