Community Manager

Re: [CHAT] Pets! Pets! Pets!

Good point @Birdeye. It would be important for many people  to have some time to work through the feelings and say goodbye properly. I guess different people approach grief in different ways though. I never considered until now how that could make it harder for another person. hmmmm

Builder

How do you think having a pet helps your mental health?

Having someone to talk to, even if they can't talk back. I guess telling a pet about what's going on is kind of like writing about it - it's a way of getting things out and thinking about them and giving yourself a bit of perspective. Also pets can help you feel less lonely. I think there are lots of mental health benefits when it comes to having pets.

Builder

@Birdeye I think I agree with you. If you break a toaster and you really like toast, you get a new one but a pet is a family member and I reckon should be mourned like any other member of the family... just my thoughts.

I reckon having a pet can increases people's levels of responsibility and confidence as they take care of a pet. It can also provide as a distraction from other things going on as well. I also get the fulfillment of after you take care of them they come and give you cuddles Smiley Happy
Builder

Next question!

What is a companion animal?  Are they different to regular pets?  If you have had experience with one, what is it like?

Builder

What is a companion animal?  Are they different to regular pets?  If you have had experience with one, what is it like?

I don't know. Pretty sure they're different to regular pets, but I'm not sure how or why. What are other people's experiences? I wish to be educated Smiley Tongue

Mod

In the vegan and animal rights world a companion animal is, I guess the pc way to refer to pets. So when I first heard of this question I was a little confused but have since found out that companion animals are like assistance dogs. From the sounds of it I think they're maybe more like mental health assistance pets. 

But I don't really know, and so I don't really see why they're different/special.

Builder

I think a companion animal is animal that helps you do everyday tasks.  So I think people with severe PTSD have them and there are seeing eye dogs and stuff that help out.  They are different to regular pets because they go through training and play an important role in people's lives from going out as a blind person to helping a quadruple amputee get dressed.

I'm pretty sure people put a vest on them saying not to pet the dog as it's doing it's job and shouldn't be distracted.  I think I'm explaining the right thing Smiley Surprised

Community Manager

Wellll I think a companion animal is just any animal you have that's a "pet" i.e not one that you have for work, like a guard dog or a chicken that lays eggs? 

What I'm interested in are assistance animals. I have a friend that has a dog that can tell when they're  about to have

a seizure! 

Builder

Okay... well I was wrong Smiley Tongue
Community Manager

hehe maybe @FootyFan26! Well just the name. the description was on point! 

Top High Fived Authors