Community Manager

Re: [CHAT]: Stinking thinking

What is venting and/or ruminating? Is it a good or bad thing?

Venting (which is sometimes called ventilating) is the blowing off of emotional steam that people often do when things are super tough and it just feels like too much to handle. Rumination is kind of like that, but it might not be so much a letting off of steam as it is being a bit stuck on the thoughts about the tough things that have happened, how you feel about yourself or others. I don't know if they're a good thing or a bad thing or if they're just things that happen. I do know that over time we can kind of get stuck in the habit of ruminating or venting, and that can make it hard to do other things. So i guess it's bad if we are "trapped" in a cycle of ruminating or venting? I am still kind of thinking about all this a lot at the moment 
Builder

I think it is healthy to get things of your chest if you need to, and writing stuff down/saying it out load can be a good way to process things. I I think venting can sometimes be a bit much though, especially if you're on the recieving end. I think there's a balance.

Builder

Venting is when you express what you're feeling and pretty much just commincate what's in your head.  it's kinda hard to explain.  I think it's a good thing for clearing a bit of space but you also have to work on fixing what's causing you to feel like that because then the thoughts will just come back again and the process will be repeated.

Builder

Venting is just like letting things out that may of been built up inside our minds. Ruminating is sort of like continuing to go over those thoughts and been almost unable to think of anything else but the bad thoughts Smiley Sad

I guess its good in a way because it helps us let it go of pent up thoughts and frustration, but ruminating isn't so good. 

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Super star contributor

When I think of venting, I think of someone getting alllllll their negative emotions out in mostly a verbal way. I think of rumination as thinking the same thing over and over again, focusing on the negative. I'm guessing this can sometimes be done in a postive way, but from my experiences and including here on RO, it's mostly been negative and I think it can make the situation worse, until we go do something else. In my case, that something else is usually exercise!!!

Ps @Ben-RO I did finish reading that journal article, although I got the message as soon as I saw the name Sigmund Freud

Community Manager

How many of us feel better after we vent? How many of us feel worse? And would we still do it if we knew it got harder to stop doing every time we do it?

Builder

I usually don't feel that much better, sometimes I feel better but not that much @Ben-RO
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Community Manager

@loves netball that's a super good point about doing something else after! I think that's an important thing, the journal article i shared with LN talks about how just venting on it's own can actually be worse for you than doing nothing at all, eeep! 

With that being said, it's kinda a lot more complicated than that in real life. Sometime the mental health stuff we're living with can make it very hard to take that next step, so we have to be gentle and kind to ourselves if it's too hard 

Builder

Sometimes I feel better, sometimes I don't. I think it depends on the situation @Ben-RO.

Super star contributor

@Ben-RO I always feel worse, and I also feel really bad being around people who are venting to the point that I run off and cry and hide and now SH

Top High Fived Authors