Builder

Re: [CHAT]: Stinking thinking

hmm can definitely relate @Stealth_ninja
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Community Manager

@Stealth_ninja to be honest i don't know if it's okay just to feel crap sometimes, my gut feeling is that yeah, it's okay but perhaps not okay if it's overwhelming. If we feel like we're drowning in the feelings of not goodness, that's probs not great. I am actually meeting up with the team of Psychologists, psychiatrists and other folk that make sure we're doing the right thing by you folks to find out the answer to this. Because i think there's a line somewhere between just feeling a bit low and perhaps doing something that's a bit harmful, i just don't know where that line is for sure. Anyone got some thoughts on that one? 

Builder

yeah like sometimes it ok to feel crap maybe a bit low about a situation, you've had a bad day or something, but is it time to actively do something about it so it doesnt get worse and spiral outta control, is that sort of what you meant? @Ben-RO
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Builder

I think it's also a bit like realising that crying is actually good for you. The chemical tears release can actually improve your mood, but being in a state of unrelenting distress is when it would be time to get some help.
Mod

[ Edited ]

yeah there's definitely a line! And it's probably different for each person as well so maybe we needt o find a way of figuring that out for ourselves. I think I kind of know when i need to do some writing really focus on self-care but i'm not really sure?

Okay next question!!!

How can venting effect other people? What can we do to be more mindful of others when venting?

Community Manager

@j95 spot on! You turned my word salad into... a word buritto! Much more organised and easy to eat

Super star contributor

@Alison5 I like being able to cry sometimes; it helps. I started crying Friday because I was overwhelmed and ruminating, I was a little more okay after crying AND I got my uni stuff out

Builder

How can venting effect other people? What can we do to be more mindful of others when venting?

It can have the possibility of triggering other people. It could also be a bit too close to home for some, but I think it is also their responsibility to take a step back from it. Perhaps when venting, you could try and generalise things?
Builder

I guess its tricky when you're in the moment but maybe being a bit careful about how what you say might hurt others
Builder

I think you have to be careful with how you go about it. Of course if you want to vent without effecting anyone you can write it down, I find that helpful sometimes.

Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count