Super star contributor

Re: [CHAT]: Stinking thinking

Well if you want me to answer that question @Ben-RO may get a MASSIVE lecture from me! Smiley Tongue

I just prefer to stay off threads that involve endless venting until I can handle it now

Community Manager

hahaha omg @j95 good gif. Also Steve carrell is so damn funny. 

What does everyone think we could do on RO to be mindful of some of these issues?

Well one thing would be to make lots more threads. If someone needs to express some venting or rumiinaty stuff and makes a new thread, it means a couple of things. 

1.  We can choose to go into that thread if we are feeling ready and in a good space to help. 
  2. If we make our own thread for our own issue it means people who ARE in a good space to help can give you lots of attention care and support. 
  3. It reduces the risk of people all not feeling great in one thread. 

All this is making me think that means short sads might not be the healthiest way for us to support each other... hmmmm

Builder

Yeah i think having new threads is like a gate, you can chose to go past it and read, and you can sort of see what it might be about, but you can go chill somewhere else if you want too as well
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

Yeah i definitely think its something we maybe need to talk about more on the forums @Ben-RO cause sometimes things get lost in short sads too and people aren't really getting the help that they need so maybe encouraging people to start a new thread could be a way of making sure they are heard?

Also, I know im not too helpful when im not doing too well so if im venting i dont think id be much help supporting someone else who's also venting?

What does everyone else think?

Mod

Also, I think thats a really healthy approach @loves netball ! Do you think there are some other ways we can help?

Community Manager

Hmm and i know i have talked to a few people in emails and on Slack about feeling pretty triggered or upset by Short Sads although i don't want to tag anyone unless they want to share cause that stuff's private. But yeah as @j95 there's no gate if it's all in one spot.

Builder

yeah im one of those people :\ oops
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Community Manager

Hrrm okay well, perhaps we should make a thread about Short Sads and think about what we could do instead? 

Builder

thats a good idea @Ben-RO
Super star contributor

I don't like reading venting online anymore unless someone show's that they want the situation to improve, because I feel like it's just being rude back to the person trying to offer the support. Sometimes we don't always get it right. I admit, that people probably thought I was a total bitch when something that was suggested triggered me. I probably still am the biggest bitch. But the point is, I think the person venting needs to guide the support they want, how they want the other person to respond. Eg just listen and acknowledge that the situation is tough or give suggestions.

Top High Fived Authors