Mod

Re: [CHAT] Stressbusters!

Thanks for all your answers @May_ Smiley Happy Good luck with the readings + work
Builder

Goodnight @May_. Good luck with your work/readings Smiley Happy
Mod

Hey all!!! Kinda late but I still made it!

What are some signs somebody else might be stressed?

It really differs from person to person, but from experience it tends to be an obvious change in behaviour, like when someone who is normally really chatty gets very quiet, or if someone who is normally really patient gets a bit snappy quickly. There might be more subtle signs too, like someone who seems a bit 'out of it', or who looks tired or isn't eating well.

Community Manager

Hmmm bout time for another Q! We've talked about what it looks like, how to recognise it in others, now it's time to talk about what to DO about it. 

How do you deal or cope with stress?

Builder

I like to use RO's breathe app to help me if I can feel myself losing control.
Also the WorryTime app is really good to try and put your thoughts aside.

Mod

It depends, if its something I have to do then I'll try and finish it as soon as I can (although I sometimes need time to psych myself up). If it's out of my hands, I try to distract myself, and I give myself time for aftercare at some point since I find stress to be physically exhausting.

Also @Alison5 I've also used the Breathe app! It's useful when you're feeling overwhelmed and need a bit of guidance

Mod

I don't think I deal with it very well Smiley Tongue As in, I think I mostly try to or continue to avoid doing/dealing with whatever is stressing me out. Because when I'm actually doing or dealing with the stressful thing, I don't think I'm as stressed as I am when I'm just thinking about it. So from this there are two possibilities for dealing with it I guess

1. head on deal with the stressful thing (even just the idea of that sounds stressful tbh)

2. Get away from the stressful thing. 

But anyway, for a (hopefully) more helpful answer, lately I've been using distraction techniques that help me to get rid of the restless energy that stress brings. Origami was really big for me a few weeks ago. 

Maybe better to do that, or my no.2, and then go do 1. 

Mod

@Birdeye I still struggle with just getting on with something that's stressing me out! Usually when I'm psyching myself up and just end up not doing anything because I don't think I'm ready. Sometimes you have to take the plunge!

Mod

Oh also, in keeping with the 'get away from the stressful thing', I know that often it's when I'm stressed (or notice that one of my friends is stressed) where I'll suggest we go away. For example, with one of my friends I plan for us to have a spa day really soon, and have said this to her several times.
Community Manager

The biggest lesson i have learned is to focus on working through the stress and reducing it instead of trying to solve the cause of the stress. I don't generally make the best decisions when i am super stressed. It's better to put the problem aside and work on the solution after i have chilled out a little- your mileage may vary though! 

I think it's also good to remember that while there's such a thing as too much stress, it's actually okay to have a bit of stress in our lives, healthy even! There's healthy stress  (also known as eustress) and then there's overwhelming stress also known as distress. There's actually such a thing as not enough stress too, which can lead to people feeling a bit confused, unmotivated or worried about stuff might not actually be worth worrying about. 
Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count