Mod

Re: [CHAT] Swipe right for love: modern dating conundrums

I also realise that I didn't totally read the first question... Freedom is definitely a plus. And there's no relationship pressure or anxieties.

2. I have no experience here, but I imagine that some pressures or anxieties would lie in comprimises or boundaries and how ready or not ready people may be. Another pressure is about the kind of relationship that people might be after, whether it will lead to something more or if it's just for physical things.
Positives is an unknown for me, but again I feel like having that person at a close level (depending on relationship) is a big plus for some people.
Builder

Re: [CHAT] Hey errybody and welcome to tonight's GR! Twipe right for love: modern dating conundrums

That's an interesting thought @nc_reachout13. Like people present the best versions of themselves, or even maybe pretend a bit and don't really be themselves at all when you first meet them. Then you get to know them and BAM. Hello new person. Have we met? This is definitely a legitimate anxiety, and I guess another is just things not being great in general, whether that be communication wise or whatever. There are definitely positives to being in a relationship too though, otherwise no one would have them in the first place Smiley Tongue

Community Manager

Re: [CHAT] Hey errybody and welcome to tonight's GR! Twipe right for love: modern dating conundrums

What are some anxieties associated with being in a relationship? And what are some good things about being in a relationship?

Definitely feeling trapped is one i have encountered in past relationships.. Like maybe I can't do all the things i want to do or that I'm not witht the right person. Which is often I think more an anxiety than an actual fact if that kind of makes sense? 

There's heaps of good things about being in a relationship and I reckon a lot of people are wired to have a significant other. Although certainly not everybody (which is totally okay ) 

Builder

That's a great way of putting it @nc_reachout13! There is definitely a great vulnerability associated with being in a relationship. Like you said, you may get too comfortable, and feel like you've lost everything that made you two love each other in the first place. You might get worried about cheating, and changing personalities and interests over time, and the list goes on.

But something great about relationships is you can find a best friend through it, and it can help you feel a little less lonely in life, because you develop a strong intimacy and bond with the person; something that transcends just having sex.
-------------------------
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” - Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Mod

What are some anxieties associated with being in a relationship? And what are some good things about being in a relationship?

I don't have experience with this one. From what I've seen though, as everyone else has said, being more open means being more vulnerable and thus being anxious about worst case scenarios and such. 

There are many lovely good things. Having someone there for you when you're not feeling ok, having someone you can open up intimately to, emotional support, understanding yourself better through someone else's perspective, security and the list goes on!

Mod

I've never actually been in a relationship but things that have made me worried about getting into one is not knowing much about the other person, as well as being vulnerable (so could possibly get hurt a lot).

Good things might be having someone there for you and who you can be yourself with, stability, and a sense of trust. 

Builder

@N1ghtW1ng I loved that you talked about pressures to compromise, not knowing where your boundaries may lie in a relationship, and being ready (or not). I think we will be touching on these topics later on in the discussion! Smiley Happy
-------------------------
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” - Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Builder

[ Edited ]

I think it's worth mentioning that I don't have experience being in a relationship (and from what I can tell, I'm not alone in this here). So most of what I'm saying is hypothetical or thoretical or one of those big words Smiley Tongue

Builder

I think for me it was sort of like... ok this can end really badly or really well, like I can stay with the person for a really long time or it's just as possible that I might not and that's pretty hurtful, having that in the back of your head. 

Also the worry about whether or not they were the right person and if they weren't, when is it too late to make that call without looking like a pretty big jerk. 

Sme good things would be having somebody there for you that connects with you more than just a friendship can. Someone who you really trust

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

@N1ghtW1ng, that's a good point.. depends what kind of relationship it is - physical/emotional and stuff

Top High Fived Authors