Mod

Re: [CHAT] Swipe right for love: modern dating conundrums

@roseisnotaplant Which means we also have a more objective view? The more perspectives the better! Smiley Happy

Builder

@j95 I know exactly what you mean. After all, there are really only two possibilities if you get into a relationship: you break up some time in the future, or you spend the rest of your life with them. Both of these options are TERRIFYING! And what if this person is already your friend? It may be very scary to try and initiate something out of fear that you will lose the friendship. That's certainly something that has happened to me.
-------------------------
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” - Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Mod

Some really great and interesting discussion here and insights. Thanks for sharing everyone Smiley Happy

What are some anxieties associated with being in a relationship? And what are some good things about being in a relationship?

Anxieties are always changing I think. Sometimes its about how your life is going to work together, or how can you be independent but still in a committed and health relationship. I think being vulnerable is big anxiety-making and being accepted for who you are. This can be a great thing if it happens because it can make you feel gooda about yourself!

Builder

Yes I am loving this discussion so far, it's great reading to what everyone has to say.

Now for our next question:

How is dating now, with apps such as Tinder, different to what it used to be? Has online technology changed the way we date?

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” - Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Mod

Hey guys! Sorry I'm late, I've been comatose napping on the couch for the past like...4 hours.

No particular comment for now, just wanted to say that it's been quite interesting to read through all this because I've never personally felt that anxiety with ending up alone.* (Although I do understand the whole "pressure to date" thing.)

*: And not because I'm positively tripping over potential romantic partners, mind you. I just take comfort from the fact that -as a regular user of the internet and digital media- the NSA will probably be with me my entire life. 

Builder

I think online dating has changed the way we date. it's more convenient, quick and fast to communicate intention. I've dated one person off tinder and albeit absolutely horrible ending wise (relates back to my 'they weren't who I thought they were') comment. It was an experience. Saying that, my new boyfriend came from Instagram soooo who would have thought!

Mod

My stomach is getting the better of me so I'm going to have to leave it here. Good night all, have an awesome discussion! Thanks for setting it up @Chloee!

Mod

How is dating now, with apps such as Tinder, different to what it used to be? Has online technology changed the way we date?

I don't use dating apps like Tinder, so I'll just sit back for now and listen to what others have to say hehe

But I guess online technology would make it easier to be meet more people quicker. It sort of gives you more choice in whom you might like to date

Builder

@Asche now you've given me comfort that if I never end up marrying someone, the NSA will always be with me! Smiley LOL

@nc_reachout13 that is such an interesting turn of events haha! But yes I completely agree, online dating has made it more convenient, especially for us antisocial introverts, but it's also changing the whole dating game.

It's so easy to go out and meet people through online dating, but sometimes that can be a bad thing, like we don't even know them and we're meeting them! And yes I had a few terrible experiences with tinder.

There's also this huge stigma around online dating, and especially finding a partner through Tinder, since it's more often seen as a hook-up app.

But I think that it's great that it's making it more accessible for us, and I even have a few friends who are in long term relationships that started off with tinder, so who would have thought!
Community Manager

Definitely different. I don't think we have ever in our history had something like an app, where you could literally pick from 1000's of people if you wanted to, but talk to none of them. 

Also with an app, you pick the photos of yourself, cameras are strange and don't really represent people very accurately so I think that kind of changes the first impressions. However I think the bit after that when you meet the person... well I don't think someone from 100 years ago would think it was THAT different.

Top High Fived Authors