Builder

Re: [CHAT] Swipe right for love: modern dating conundrums

@RevzZ Hope you feel better! Thanks for popping in and feel free to read up on everything once you feel better Smiley Happy

(P.S. I have no idea what that gif has to do with anything but I laughed haha!)
-------------------------
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” - Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Builder

How is dating now, with apps such as Tinder, different to what it used to be? Has online technology changed the way we date?

Apps? What are they? As someone with not only no access to dating apps, but no access to apps in general, I don't have a lot to say about this but I am very curious. I guess it would be like the interent in general, right? Where you can find people that you relate to and share interests and values with more easily than going out onto the street and talking to random people.

Mod

Recent q answer: I have no idea how this dating works, however I do agree with you all (especially on the introverts @Chloee, any excuse to stay at home Smiley Tongue) that online dating is a convienent(what is spelling?) alternative in today's technological age.
Community Manager

@roseisnotaplant kiiind of... although there seems to be two categories of apps. One where you just kind of randomly click people you think might be cute, and then theres apps where you answer a bajillion questions and the app tries to match you with someone who answers things the same way. In both cases I am not convinced they work too well Smiley Tongue 

Builder

@roseisnotaplant I will not even try to explain what an app is, because I am terrible at explaining and you will probably be more confused, but with dating apps a lot of them work based on how Tinder works, which is you can put up to 5 (i think) photos of yourself plus a short description on your bio, and then people scroll through images of others.

If they like what they see, they can click to like you. If both of you like each other, you get a 'match' and then you can start chatting to each other.
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” - Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Mod

@nc_reachout13 haha that's a nice surprise! maybe instagram is the new tinder...

Builder

That sounds strange @Ben-RO... Smiley Tongue

Builder

Haha, I know what an app is @Chloee. It's three fifths of an apple, right?

I was going to say that what you described (pictures, short description) is a bit limiting and shallow, but then again, that's kind of all you get when you meet someone for the first time irl, too. Although maybe pictures doing it online is less authentic because you get to chose your best pictures and be selective about what you say. This is super interesting haha Smiley Happy 

Community Manager

@roseisnotaplant I reckon it's pretty strange too! But lots of people seem to think its a good idea. I am not sure if I am convinced though. 

I have tried a few apps in my time. I've made a bunch of good friends... which is not what these apps are generally for. However for some reason I often end up just wanting to be friends with people i meet from an app...maybe that's just me though 

Builder

An app is three fifths of an apple, @roseisnotaplant? Uh... sure.... Smiley Tongue

And yeh, I think it is a bit shallow too, but it is quite similar to seeing someone in person, liking their appearance, and then approaching them and asking them out on a date.

One issue, though, is that I think with dating apps, especially Tinder, there is that idea that you use it just for one night stands or for casual sex, relating to what I said before about there being a huge stigma around it.

This can be an issue because I (and others I know) may be using Tinder to get into a relationship (it's happened, I've seen it!). Because of this, I think it's sometimes difficult to understand whether the person you are talking to wants you to go over to their place NOW, or if they actually want the same thing as you.

WHICH LEADS ME TO MY NEXT QUESTION (har har, great segue Chloee):

How difficult can it be to know what you and the person you date want out of the relationship?

I think this question applies to all forms of dating, whether online or not. 

Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count