Community Manager

Re: [CHAT] Swipe right for love: modern dating conundrums

Thank you so much for coming on and digging into the convo @nc_reachout13! I hope you have a great sleep and an awesome shift (or whatever you call it) at work tomorrow!

Builder

@Asche I completely agree with you - I think Tinder just takes traditional dating means and makes it more convenient. Now we can 'pick up someone at the bar' when we're even just sitting on the toilet! Smiley LOL

@cupcakes_032 Those are some interesting questions you pointed out.

"When's the best time to bring it up?" I think this is different depending on the situation, but I always try to bring it up when I feel like my personal feelings have progressed. For example, if I'm starting to like this person more, I might want to ask them what we actually are.

"Will asking about it make the other person feel uncomfortable?" I guess this is a huge concern and the main reason why we are so scared of asking, but I think that we will have to go through with the question anyway, and I think most relationships are better for asking. If they want to continue to the next stage, then it's all the better that you asked them when you did. If they didn't, then at least you didn't waste any time!

And @nc_reachout13, good night! Thanks for your great comments.
-------------------------
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” - Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Builder

What do others think about these questions that @cupcakes_032 brought up?
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” - Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Mod

Hey everyone, im not feeling too good. Im gonna head to bed. Thanks for the discussion, sorry I haven't been around much. also @Chloee you're a star!!

Mod

@Chloee, haha that's a lovely image 

Yeah I agree, the question is sort of inevitable.. and being able to communicate to each other would be more important than the discomfort in the end!

Mod

@Stealth_ninja, hope you get better and goodnight Smiley Happy

Community Manager

These are excellent points @Asche. I think I'm convinced that an app is no worse than the alternatives it's just one more thing you can do to get to the important bit of actually talking to someone you like!  

@cupcakes_032 I think it's good to bring things up and be transparent, especially when there's some feelings happening. I don't think it means you have to say things like all the time or anything, but perhaps just check in with the person. Has anyone been in a relationship with someone who didn't like talking about feelings? 

Builder

@Stealth_ninja Thanks for taking part, I hope you get better!
Mod

How difficult can it be to know what you and the person you date want out of the relationship? (gonna answer all questions in one question! Smiley Very Happy)
Probably very difficult to quite easy. As with everything, it depends. In some relationships, the partners are open with each other about wants and/or needs however when they aren't, it can be a difficult thing to bring up. Some could do it at the beginning of a relationship, especially in online dating where facial and vocal expressions and body language aren't there. So then, at the beginning you could bring it up but then, it's all about when you are ready. Your partner might even bring it up with you first. It might make the other person uncomfortable when you ask, but sometimes you need to. Of course, if it's an incomfortable issue, it's fine to take a step back and maybe plan to make another time when you are both ready to talk about it.
Builder

@Ben-RO I know this is generalising but I feel like a lot of men don't like talking about their feelings! Whereas we girls are always trying to talk about our feelings. This can be especially difficult when trying to determine whether you are a couple or not and where you want the relationship to go!
Top High Fived Authors