Mod

Re: [CHAT]: Transitioning to higher education

@loves netball congrats! I'm excited to have you on board I'm sure you have some wisdom to give to people who are transitioning Smiley Happy
Mod

Hey @j95!! 

Hey @loves netball, well i'm doing my masters now so you're definitely not too old! haha Everyone welcome as always!!

Builder

Hi everyone!
Mod

[ Edited ]

In what ways do you think higher education will be/has been different to high school?

You have a lot more freedom at uni and a lot less structure. It's up to you to turn up to lectures and tutes! For me it was a lot easier to make friends in high school than it is at uni because you don't spent as much time with people (depending on what course you are doing) and people live busy lives at uni whereas in school we all had a lot more free time to hang out etc 

Also in regards to the studying aspect you get a lot of freedom in both year 11/12 and at uni which I loved! For the most part I hated school before VCE because I wasn't really interested in most of the things we were learning about

Builder

In what ways do you think higher education will be/has been different to high school?

Less routine (no longer 9-3), new people, focussed study, different teaching, new expectations, more importance

Super star contributor

-8am classes Smiley Sad

-lectures with like a hundred people (especially in first year as a lot of courses overlap)

-having to work with new people in tutes or practical classes

-having to do all the study in your own time

-assignments - referencing 

-a lot of online learning

-readings that no one does in first year -actually no one does till masters Smiley LOL

Builder

[ Edited ]

Flexibility 

You can tailor your timetables to suit you a little more than high school. You can choose to take longer to do your course by doing less hours per week, or smash it out by doing lots of hours. 

- Responsibility 

Its up to you to get your work in and go to class, there isn't any reminders

- Massive range of people

In highschool we're grouped with people around our own age, at TAFE or Uni you could be with anyone from 18 - 100!!

- Different learning environment

You've got tutorials, lectures, different classes, whereas at high school you're just in a classroom most of the time

- You pick your course at uni or tafe so you're more likely to be interested also 

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

haha @loves netball so true about readings in first year Smiley Tongue
Mod

Well to tackle the first question- mostly the lack of structure. Sure, there are timetabled "classes" in that there's lectures and tutorials, but nobody is going to force you to attend all of your classes if you don't do it. You may end up regretting that decision around final exams though. (At least in a university context- I'm not terribly familiar with how the teaching in TAFE runs.) Classes are also a lot more spread out- there's typically only about 20 or so timetabled hours (although this differs based on what you're studying) instead of 6 hours Monday to Friday. This gives you a lot more flexibility for activities outside of class- like working part-time, volunteering or just hanging out with friends, which is quite different. However, it also means that you don't form friendships as organically as you might have in high school, because you're not really forced to spend time with anyone in classes or at lunch.

Oh, and there's a lot more work. Like, quite a lot more, and you're expected to absorb it much more quickly than you are in high school. It's challenging to begin with but you do eventually get used to it Smiley LOL

Mod

- it was really different for me, like @May_ i had a lot of friends at school and i saw the same people all the time

- it took me ages to adjust cause all my classes had so many people and my high school group all split up but in terms of learning I have enjoyed uni way more!

- way more different things to learn, lots of different clubs to be part of, a really amazing chance to learn something you care about!

Top High Fived Authors