Super star contributor

Re: [CHAT]: Transitioning to higher education

I didn't find much of a change in terms of friends going from high school to uni. I had no friends in yr 12 basically and had few friends at uni

Builder

In what ways do you think higher education will be/has been different to high school?

As previously mentioned there is a lot less structure and you very much do everything on your own terms. This can be both a good and a bad thing. All of a sudden you have a lot more time to do what you want and a lot less pressure to be anywhere at any one time. This can lead to you finding your passion outside of uni work, you can join clubs and really put yourself out there. On the flip side, it can be difficult to stay motivated when you really have nobody telling you that you HAVE to be doing your work. I would use your first few weeks at uni to find a routine that works for you, making sure you set time aside for both uni work and some social time/other priorities (diaries are a must Smiley Very Happy). Uni is very different from school and can be a shock to the system, but just try and have fun with it. These may be some of the best years and you are gaining a great new opportunity to meet new people and try new things! 

Mod

Some pretty big differences between the two with negatives and positives to both I think - and everyone's experience of both will be pretty unique Smiley Happy

Next question...

What do you want to study/what are you studying/what have you finished studying at uni/tafe/apprentiship?

Mod

hey everyone!

In what ways do you think higher education will be/has been different to high school?

I found that there were heaps of differences between high school and uni. Firstly, depending on which uni you go to, there can be a lot of students, so it's hard to get to know people if you see them once and then hardly ever see them again. The huge emphasis on referencing, and how precise it had to be was quite a shock for me.

There was a lot more freedom in regards to turning up to classes as well, which I know has already been covered, but I thought it was worth mentioning again Man Tongue 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

What do you want to study/what are you studying/what have you finished studying at uni/tafe/apprentiship?

I finished a psychology degree in 2015, and this year I'm starting a post graduate diploma (4th year) in psychology. (Scary!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Builder

I'm studying at TAFE (Trade School) and its an apprenticeship in Landscaping and Construction Smiley Happy I only have to go once a week and the other 4 days is on the job
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Builder

I would like to do nursing/paramedics and then eventually go down the track of becoming a doctor. Smiley Very Happy

Mod

Congrats on getting in to post grad @letitgo Smiley Happy @j95 that sounds really good - I wish uni was more practical sometimes

I am studying a bachelor of psychology and social work with honours

Mod

I'm a Psychology/Neuroscience double major at uni. Which is why I'm at the lab. At 8. In the evening.

The kicker?

THE SEMESTER HASN'T EVEN STARTED YET.

Hold me

Super star contributor

Finished undergrad end of 2015 - sport & exercise science

2016 started masters, but had to slow down a bit due to health reasons Smiley Sad - clinical exercise physiology Smiley Tongue

Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count