Super star contributor

Re: [CHAT]: Transitioning to higher education

@May_ in masters you are expected to attend classes. We have to watch all the content online and then in the lecture time we do weekly quizzes which obviously count overall  

Builder

hahaha that picture @Asche
Mod

Okay next question, this is an interesting one that I think some people struggle with

What can you do if you don't get in to the course you wanted to get into?

Mod

@Asche omg I do the same! I can't throw any of my textbooks or notes out ever because I am like what if I need them again/I worked so hard on that!!? And very very occasionally I have wanted to retrieve something....but struggled to find it....
Mod

wishing you the best of luck for honours @sapphire38!

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

omg @May_ @Asche i feel the same!! I never want to throw anything out cause im like omg thats all my hard work just going down the drain but I guess the hard work was the result/completing undergrad or finishing/passing the subject and I have that on my record for life BUT it's still so hard.

Plus i think im a secret hoarder haha

Mod

This actually happened to me last year, so I took a year off and then applied again for 2017. But there are heaps of other options/pathways like doing a short course/volunteering or work experience in the relevant field... 

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Builder

Its hard not to feel let down but there are pathways, and some might take you a little longer than you hoped but sometimes its good to have a little more time to learn and find your feet outside of high school. This isn't something I have personally struggled with but a few of my friends had to start a relevant course at a different uni (I think) and then move over to the one they wanted, and in that time you might find something else you like instead which is good too. 

Mod

I go to some classes @loves netball dependings. Some of the classes we discuss stuff and get to debate topics and I like that, usually if its just a lecture in the middle of the day on a friday or something i just skip it and we do these online quizzes so you can do that from anywhere - how great is technology!

Mod

When I was waiting for my ATAR I was really really worried about this. I was worried I wouldn't get into any courses but I ended up getting into one that I never even dreamed of getting into. 

I think having lots of options and keeping an open mind is key (ie not putting all your hopes and dreams into one course - look at ALL the unis). And to know that there are always alternative pathways to get into any courses. I also found it helpful to remind myself that the ATAR restrictions are there for a reason and if I got an ATAR significantly lower than the course then it would probably have been too difficult and competitive for me anyway

Top High Fived Authors