Builder

Re: [CHAT]: Transitioning to higher education

What is the OP system @N1ghtW1ng it already sounds confusing
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

YOLO @Alison5 maybe see what happens? it could be amazing

What are you looking forward to about studing at Uni or Tafe? What are you worried about?

Well when i started masters i was soooooo excited about studying something I was so interested in and I was super worried that i'd be a loner sitting on the grass eating lunch by myself everyday but then i just tried to be okay with being alone. I think it was an important thing I had to learn, like just be present in where im at and then i just loved it. I picked subjects that interested me which i hadnt really done in my undergrad cause i kind of followed a specific path. Also the campus coffee was AMAZE and i was coming from working so i really enjoyed that change

Mod

Does anyone get bored doing the same thing everyday? Like work wise? Same job, same skills, same info?
@Alison5 great question! This is something I worry about quite often too. I think that is what attracts me to the social work/psychology field because there is almost no end to the type of work you can do! I would struggle to work in hospitality full time/for the rest of my life because I would get bored so I guess that's why I am studying at uni Smiley Happy

What are you looking forward to about studing at Uni or Tafe? What are you worried about?

I am looking forward to learning lots of interesting things this semester! (Did I mention I was excited to go back? I'm sure I will regret saying this when the flood of assignments begins haha). I am worried about assignments and being stressed out.

When I first started uni I was really worried about making friends or not making any friends. And to be honest I really struggled with this - it isn't easy to make friends in uni - well for me it wasn't and often I felt really alone. 

Mod

@j95 can you ask your work for support in the areas you think you need to improve? Or the tafe?

Builder

@Alison5 I think it is ok to change your mind and maybe you can do that a few times (you can always switch things before the payment deadline, so you don't get charged). Maybe if you find yourself not liking anything at this current time, it might be an idea to take a break from uni and go back when you have more of an idea of what you want to do. In saying that, you may love your course and not want to change at all. It is scary when you start and there is so much in the unknown, but things have a way of working themselves out Smiley Happy If you are really set on a course at the moment, I am sure you will enjoy it!

Builder

Yeah I see a tutor @Stealth_ninja and I'm also linked in with learning support at TAFE, my boss is pretty good with answering questions I've got too
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

@Stealth_ninja I relate to that on so many levels. I was so afraid of being alone in first year because at school I always had my group. But I guess I have learned to stop caring to some extent and would like to be able to embrace being a loner at uni even more heheh
Community Manager

I am thinking about doing a Masters of School Counseling, or something similar. But I'm pretty nervous as I actually kind of suck at studying, i much more prefer to actually go and DO the thing.... unfortunately sometimes you need a piece of paper before you can do the thing Smiley Tongue. But I'm really looking forward to it too, because I think it'd make me way more awesome at the things i already love doing a lot, this seems to help, i can write for days about things i actually give a crap about Smiley Tongue 

Builder

I'm worried about choosing the right course I guess.  I don't really know what I'm doing so I guess what I have to do is learn from others and ensure I look into things before I choose something.  I'm so lost with VCE subjects I don't know how I'm gonna handle all the unni/TAFE courses. Smiley Surprised

Mod

Well @j95, I can't remember what it stands for but OP is the QLD equivalent of atar (which is the end of school mark)
Your OP is a whole number between 1 and 25, one being the highest. You get it by your grades in classes BUT you also have to complete the QCS, Queensland Core Skills test which are a bunch of tests like NAPLAN at year 10 level (apparently, mind you this is for year 12's) on english, maths and science (pretty sure).
If you don't want an OP, you get a rank. Now, everyone in year 12 has to complete the (useless) QCS tests, which are done over three days. And everyone's score effects each other. So there's a bell curve of results basically. Few people do really well, few people do really bad(and there HAVE to be at least one person who does shit or else the bell curve screws over and everyone's score is dragged down)
The difference between OP and rank is that OP is effected by everyone whereas rank is just the individual person's score (along with their school grades, I guess)

Did I mention it's stupid?

Apparently Queensland is planning on ditching this system though and changing to atar to be more standard with the rest of Australia (like moving year 7 to high school)

Honestly, QLD schools are morons.
Top High Fived Authors