Mod

Re: [CHAT] Valentine's, Schmalentine's

yeah i agree with that @N1ghtW1ng. Do you think theres a way to show your appreciation without having that situation? Like maybe keep it separate to school or big group environemtns?

Mod

@Jia I heard about that. And I could go on and on about gender roles (and my particular hatred of them Smiley Tongue) but yeah, Valentine's day isn't really that fun because it's all about the guy giving things and the woman accepting things. (But is the woman supposed to give things back? I don't actually know any etiquette of valentines day)
And then other countries basically reversing the idea is just, an extra highlight of how men give to the women, and now the women give to the men. As if they can't give each other things interchangeably.
Builder

This school stuff is reminding me of that episode of the simpsons hahaha
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

@Stealth_ninja I think the schools should promote healthy relationships more than gift giving. I mean, yeah getting a gift is really nice, but I think having more focus on a healthy relationship makes the gift giving a bit of a surprise, nice addition, because it accents what's already there. Not as a necessity to the day, but an extra.
I dunno.
Uber contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't mean to sound militant but I also hate gender roles and imo respecting your partner's gender identity and gender expression is a way better gift than a box of chocolates @N1ghtW1ng Smiley Tongue 

And yeessss!!! Healthy relationships being taught and normalised is so important!!

Mod

I unfortunately have experienced that exclusion. One of the girls in my group at high school brought every other girl in the group a flower or balloon (I can't remember which) except for me. My sister saw what had happened it told me that the SRC had lost a sheet but she definitely saw my name written down. It made me feel better, but a few years later, I came to realise that she lied to me, about it, but can see that she was trying to protect me.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Builder

@N1ghtW1ng HAHAH yessss the fact that the man has to pay for everything is bs and an idea that belongs in the 50s but I think that notion is not exclusive to Vday but also things like first dates and that a guy has to pay for a first date which is baloney because its not that hard to split a meal seriously.

I personally thought the notion of men having to pay everything was really old school though like I know plenty of women who pay for things just as much as men 

Mod

Haha agreed @DruidChild. There should definitely be less "oh look at this nice thing that I've shown you fourteen times this past week. Oh next week, isn't there a holiday or something next week *wink**wink*" and more "I love you" or whatever people in love do Smiley Tongue
Builder

What do you think are some positive and negative aspects of Valentines day?

Pos - reminds us to show our friends some love.

Neg - people not in relationships can feel left out or there might be a bit of tension created in relationships.

Builder

Great answers with lots of persectives, next question....

What pressures or expectations do you feel are on you or other young people on this day?

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count