Mod

Re: [CHAT] Valentine's, Schmalentine's

@Jia so bs Smiley Tongue

@stonepixie it really sucks when people get excluded from these things. Another reason why it kind of sucks Smiley Tongue
Mod

Positive and negative aspects

I can really relate to what you said about feeling bad when you see someone else get flowers @Stealth_ninja, although not personally. My mum gets sucked into the idea of getting flowers etc on Valentine's Day, whereas that's not my dad's kind of thing. He shows he loves her in other ways, like taking her on holidays when he can, or doing the dishes/cleaning/cooking so she doesn't have to. PDA's aren't for everyone, and I think the narrative around Valentine's Day has to change to reflect that... 

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

yeah thats exactly right @letitgo like even when you're in a relationship it doesnt change cause you're like "im in a relationship now i should be able to enjoy this" but that can put unfair expectations on your partner when they might show their love differently

Builder

What pressures or expectations do you feel are on you or other young people on this day?

None? No one has said anything about Valentines Day at our school, and I don't remember anything ever happenning on that day actually (except for this one time in grade 5 where this guy bought his 'girfriend' roses and chocolates and it was kind of sweet and kind of funny, but they were like ten so idk if that counts).

Maybe it depends on where you are or the school culture or environment. I'm not sure.

Mod

@letitgo it's the little things over time that are better than one giant (or relatively large Smiley Tongue) thing one way day.

What pressures or expectations do you feel are on you or other young people on this day?
The expectation to be in a relationship, or searching for one (the high amount of dating apps and their ads). The gift giving, something "extravagant" is just unnecessary and expensive and a waste of money, at least it could be used for something else, smaller more meaningful things than a one-of for a "special" day of the year
Builder

THe biggest pressure for some people would probably be getting a date to make sure you're not 'lonely' (whichisaloadofcrap)

Builder

I think for some people in a relationship it may fee l like they have to do certain things.
People could also feel pressured to be in a relationship with someone
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

I feel none now that I am no longer in the school environment. But there was always this whole girls should expect to get something even if they are single. I think it is cruel and also how the world thinks there is something wrong with you for not being in a relationship. 

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Builder

It seems like the school environment contributes a lot to pressure

Time for a few questions in one Smiley Tongue

What are some ways you have celebrated Valentines day in the past? Do you think it's worth celebrating? Why/why not?

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

What are some ways you have celebrated Valentines day in the past? Do you think it's worth celebrating? Why/why not?
I have never celebrated Valentines day. And I think I've pretty much covered why I don't think it's worth celebrating Smiley Tongue To summarise, it's putting a single act of love in one day of such high importance when multiple acts of love over a long period of time should be emphasised(I always struggle with that word Smiley Tongue) more.
Top High Fived Authors