Post Mod

Re: ANGRY

@Ben-RO aren't acceptance and rising above similar things? I feel like you need to accept in order to rise above

Community Manager

@tsnyder I think rising above is often acceptance, but i think sometimes things are shit, frustrating and upsetting, and you don't have to be okay with or happy about it, but accept that it's something you can't change right now. That's a tough kind of acceptance and i wonder if it's rising above, because it's acknowledging that the painful thing, is indeed a painful thing, and that youcan't fight that right now. 

Mod

[ Edited ]

@tsnyder Yes of course. Also, I believe you can accept that you can't rise above something but find another way around it? It happens with some prejudiced people, who know they just can't accept someone for who they are so they just avoid them altogether. They're not exactly getting better at it but I suppose they have accepted the fact that they can't accept those people for who they are.

What do you think is the difference between hate and anger? Or is there one?

(I also want to add if there's any difference besides the length of time it lasts)

Post Mod

I cant quite define the difference @RevzZ . Hate for me is more like a dislike of someone or something, it might mean Im more likely to get angry toward that thing. But I can be angry and things I love
|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||
Post Mod

@Ben-RO it sounds like you're saying to do the best with what's in your control, which is all you can do!

Tough question! Definitely seems like there is a huge overlap, and I would guess that someone you hate would illicit anger in you pretty easily! Perhaps consider why you hate whatever it is you hate, and you'll probably find your reason also makes you angry. Hate seems more severe though

Post Mod

Tonight's GR summary:

When considering how anger feels to us, we all mentioned that in some way we can feel it in our bodies, that it makes us restless and takes over our thoughts and focus. This can make it difficult for us to communicate and act how we normally might when we are not angry. Overall, it is a pretty consuming feeling.

We thought anger sometimes builds up and gets stronger progressively, but other times it might go straight from 0% to 100%. A lesser form of angry might be feeling irritable and snapping easily.

Some things we thought can trigger anger included:

• Feeling stressed, overwhelmed or low in energy
  • Other people acting in certain ways towards us (like siblings being annoying or bullying)
  • Things not going as expected or planned
  • Little things going wrong (like stepping on lego or running out of tea bags)
  • Things that violate our morals and values
  • Not being accepted for who we are

What things act as triggers can depend on our general mood at the time, life stressors and maybe even personality.

Sometimes we might feel guilty over our feelings of anger or the things we do or think while we are angry. Especially if the anger is toward people we care about. But sometimes this realisation can help us assess when anger is warranted and when perhaps we need to take a few breaths next time.

We brainstormed some ideas for productive ways of expressing or coping with anger:

• Exercise
  • Talk it through with someone
  • Write it down
  • Listen to music
  • Go somewhere you feel safe and calm
  • Take a few breaths
  • Look at baby animals on the internet
  • Just acknowledge you are feeling anger and that it will pass in time
  • Try to always do something productive when you feel angry, so not only will you learn to get through the anger you will also gain a new skill or complete a project

Here are some articles RO has created on anger if you wanted to do some more reading:

|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||
Community Manager

@RevzZ this is a tricky question! I think hate is a kind of anger, but perhaps one that's directed at someone or something wheras anger might not be directed at something. So you can just feel angry about something that's happening, or even angry for no reason. When you feel hatred it is because you don't like something AND it's made you angry... I think? I am still pondering this Smiley Tongue 

Post Mod

G'night everyone
Post Mod

great point by @ClCl, you can definitely by angry with things you love

Community Manager

Thanks everybody for coming! You are welcome to keep chatting, or to make a topic in the wellbeing section exploring a particular question more if you would like to. However this ends the bit of the chat where we all jump on at the same time, so responses will slow down a little now! 

Thanks in particular to @tsnyder and @ClCl for helping to run the show and @RevzZ for some cool questions

and to everyone else for such a great conversation! Much appreciated ! 

Top High Fived Authors