Post Mod

Re: ANGRY

Those are some great ideas @redhead ! I totally agree about the exercise and talking it through with someone. Sometimes just admiting I am angry externally stops me from trying to deny and hide it, which actually helps me calm down rather than feeling worse.

What are some productive ways of expressing or coping with anger?

Try to recognise it early and take a moment out for yourself to breathe

For me walking or sitting under some trees helps

Watching baby animal videos on YouTube

|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||
Post Mod

@maggiem while you're trying to move past punching things, I'd try hitting the bed instead.  Much less damaging to you!

I think this is important but something that often gets misunderstood.  Personally, I feel like it's great to find healthy ways of coping, but I think it's not a good idea to dwell in your anger and entertain it.  If I'm just having a day where I feel angry for no concrete reason, then I just keep in mind that it'll pass, but if something is wrong then I'll address it.  In a perfect world I would also recognize when I am overreacting and would try to challenge some of my thoughts.

Mod

@RevzZ that's a neat way of looking at it. In a way, that's why I also feel guilty @tsnyder, because I've already gotten mad at this before (and felt the same afterwards) but I did it AGAIN. So I feel guilty, and then angry at myself, for falling into the anger trap all over again.
Builder

@RevzZ thanks for the idea might look into it Smiley Happy
Post Mod

@maggiem it can also be helpful to give yourself a time limit to be angry, and then telling yourself to move on

Post Mod

@N1ghtW1ng perhaps you're anger is telling you to address whatever it is that is recurrently making you angry?  Alternatively, it could be a sign to find ways to rise above it?

Mod

@tsnyder that's the biggest problem. The main cause of my anger circles back on my bro, or on my physical gender, And I know that I should rise above it. But I still fall into the same traps and it sucks.
Mod

[ Edited ]

@tsnyder That sounds like a good mindset, letting it pass. I guess anger really can creep up like a sudden rainstorm. Then suddenly, that rainbow just shows up out of nowhere.

Slowly link that emotion with another behaviour. Every time you feel an angry feeling coming on, try and suddenly do something else, like pushups or something. It's just like a muscle. You just have to keep working on it. Ideally, you'll be both fit and in greater control of your anger Smiley Happy

Community Manager

Hmm, we really need to have a convesation about accepting things we can't rise above too, but it's going to be something that's longer than a GR @N1ghtW1ng

Post Mod

@RevzZ I love what you have said about getting better at not feeling angry by working at it.  By the way, you were wanting to discuss the difference between hate and anger?

@N1ghtW1ng what are these traps that you fall into?

Top High Fived Authors