Community Manager

Re: [Chat] Cures for Loneliness

And here's another discussion question Smiley Happy 

How can you overcome that fear?

Builder

@j95 maybe the reactions and expressions make it a bit more intimidating. Especially if you're worried about their reaction.
Builder

@Ben-RO casual as in like just talking about average stuff like the weather and interests and formal as in maybe a job interview or meeting people at a new job.
Builder

Face to face can become awkward when the conversation goes quiet for a while but when chatting online longer periods of silence are more acceptable.  And a conversation in person would be over much quicker than if it was done online just because of the longer reply times.

Community Manager

@FootyFan26 oh that's interesting! See i find that formal stuff way less scary, like that stuff is a 3 for me. I think its cool how different things are for different people 

Builder

[ Edited ]

Take a deep breath and remember they are in the same position, you're new to them as well and we all agree that feeling intimidated or worried is normal so it's likely they are thinking the same way.

To start a new conversation or keep one going I find that it's best to get them talking about themselves. Ask questions about them because you know they'll be interested and it's probably the easiest topic for them to talk about - themself Smiley Happy

Builder

• Know that it's normal to be nervous sometimes
  • What you predict might happen might not happen
  • Jump into it and start a convo cause once you start it might be a bit easier
Community Manager

@Dani this is something i have noticed after doing a fair few presentations and things like that... when I'm nervous, what I think is a heaps long silence is actually very short and in fact I am learning to take muuuuccchh longer to respond because that actually is more natural despite feeling like there's lots of tumbleweeds passing by while i think about what to say.

Tumbleweed

Do you reckon that we feel pressure to respond quickly in a face to face conversation? Does feeling a bit nervous affect how we feel time is passing? 

Community Manager

@Dani sage advice mate Smiley Happy 

Dani wrote:

Take a deep breath and remember they are in the same position, you're new to them as well and we all agree that feeling intimidated or worried is normal so it's likely they are thinking the same way.

To start a new conversation or keep one going I find that it's best to get them talking about themselves. Ask questions about them because you know they'll be interested and it's probably the easiest topic for them to talk about - themself Smiley Happy

Builder

[ Edited ]

I'm pretty done so I might stay on. If I leave early, sorry for being rude.

Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count