Community Manager

Re: [Chat] Cures for Loneliness

Thats okay @FootyFan26 thanks for the heads up Smiley Happy 

Community Manager

Here's a tricky one, muahaha

Do you reckon we spend more time worrying about what could go wrong or what could go right? Why?

Builder

Thank you @Ben-RO Smiley Happy

And that's another good point, I think being nervous really does affect how we think about time.

Face to face you want to avoid it being awkward but silence gives us more of a chance to think about our nervous and sense a feeling of awkwardness.

Builder

Sorry I'm trying to keep up with this chat, cook dinner, send an important email and breathe
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Builder

Do you reckon we spend more time worrying about what could go wrong or what could go right? Why?

I think we spend more time worrying about what could go wrong. We aim for impressing people or being accepted and want the conversation to keep going. So probably more worried about what could go wrong to make the conversation end before you really want it to.

Community Manager

That's okay @j95 do what you gotta do  and jump in when you feel okay to Smiley Happy 

Community Manager

[ Edited ]

I think we definitely spend more time worrying about what could go wrong rather than what could go right.  

Why? 

Well I think the main reason is that it's how we have evolved. Not long ago big scary animals ate us if we didn't spend a lot of time worrying about said scary creatures. So our brains have evolved (i think) to be VERY good at thinking about bad things that can happen. Unfortunately sometimes, particularly when we are very worried, the wiring in our brains can get in the way a little. It becomes easier to solve the problem by not encountering the problem. Works great for things like saber toothed tigers. Doesn't work so great for things like conversations with people who are probably nice (and a little nervous too). 

Community Manager

@Dani I like your point about impressing people. Do you think we might sometimes get a bit caught up in trying to "win" a friend? 

Builder

I think we predict what will happen before it happens when we don't actually know what the outcome of the conversation is going to be.  It goes on longer because if we predict negative things we don't really want to put ourselves in a situation with a negative outcome even if we don't know for sure.

Mod

Hello everyone! I'm sitting on a bench in the dark near uni waiting for a bus- feeling pretty lonely so I thought I'd join. Sorry im late, uni is pretty tough right now
Top High Fived Authors