Mod

Re: [Chat] Cures for Loneliness

Hi everyone Smiley Happy

Do you reckon we spend more time worrying about what could go wrong or what could go right? Why?

I think we probably spend more time worrying about what could go wrong because the pain of rejection might outweigh the good feeling when things go right... kind of like how the pain of losing $20 would be more than how good you would feel if you won $20

Mod

Breathing is super important @j95 so is cooking! I'm so hungry!

I definitely spend more time thinking about what could go wrong. Doesn't everyone? Mainly because it's so much worse? Or it is in my head? Also maybe previous experiences or movies brainwashing me
Builder

Yeah I think we do @Ben-RO

We can all get caught up in thinking about the impression we give other people. Nerves can lead us to thinking the impression they're getting isn't the one we really want to give and lead us to try harder but that's not always best.

Community Manager

@FootyFan26

Whoa. Such a good point. 

I have this idea in my head that we want one thing- easy awesome friendship, to be liked and to just have the best conversation ever. Yet we worry about (and might even get lost thinking about)  the opposite of what we want, like some kind of disastrous conversation or an awkward moment. 

Anyone feel the same way? 

Builder

Ok I'm back
Builder

Sorry to chime in so late but I just got home!

For me, like many of you guys I find it a lot easier to chat online because it gives you time to think of answers, silences aren't awkward but sort of expected, and it's easier to end and start conversations.

Speaking to someone new in person is a lot easier for me when I'm expecting it, like going to a party where I know that I will only have 1 or 2 friends there. Then I prepare myself mentally to meet and talk to new people, so that's probably like a 3 on the scale for me.

I guess I have improved because I once heard (or maybe read somewhere) a quote that said that you shouldn't worry about what other people are thinking about you, because they are actually so caught up in worrying about how they look themselves, that they're not even noticing your mistakes!

So that helps me talk to people, just realising that we all make mistakes, everyone is in the same boat and if someone else makes a mistake - I don't even notice it! So they probably don't notice when I make one too.

-------------------------
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” - Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Community Manager

Hey @cupcakes_032

CupcakeSpace

Mod

I think those are 3 things @Ben-RO but I agree with you!
Hi @j95
Builder

Not quite getting ya @Ben-RO but yeah focusing on an awkward moment or worse can be very off-putting
Community Manager

Oh and hi there @Chloee @Stealth_ninja I am afraid i could not find gifs that were quite as good for you , sorry Smiley Tongue 

Top High Fived Authors