Community Manager

Re: [Chat] Cures for Loneliness

And even though i am going to bed, I am going to leave you with one final question to think about and answer- if you'd like. 

How can we make it easier to make friends or reconnect with old friends?

Builder

@Ben-RO I agree, it's definitely about meeting lots of new people and going with the flow. If it doesn't feel right then no need to push because there's plenty more new people for both of you to meet afterwards. I think it's just good to remember there could be a 'click' but it doesn't have to happen every time.

Mod

I think joining a group of people who have similar interests helps, because there's already something you have in common to talk about. I guess putting ourselves out there and saying 'hi' then seeing where the conversation goes... For reconnecting with old friends, maybe just sending a text asking 'how are you going?' and arranging to catch up? But for me, reconnecting sort of depends on how much effort both people want to give to maintaining the friendship because things might have changed since... Letting go is hard Smiley Sad
Builder

Always easier when there is already a common interest to talk about or do together. Joining a sporting team or club is a great way to meet new people with similar interests, and it sets up a regular time to see those people for trainings/games or meetings. They can also be used to reconnect. If an old friends likes the same sport or something than get back into contact by asking them to join a team or club with you Smiley Happy

Builder

Sorry i'm a little late, but who needs sleep anyway right!? (Joking Smiley Tongue Couldn't sleep anyway)

Apart from the great answers above about finding common interests, I feel like making new friends can be very easy if you have a desire to learn. For example, I think a great conversation starter is to ask what someone enjoys doing or what they do for work and when they get to something you are a little unfamiliar with, you can ask for more details. I think this makes a stronger relationship instantly as you are learning about new things and allowing them to really talk if they want to. (This may not suit everyone, but I love getting to know people that maybe I don't even feel like I would normally try and make friends with because often this is when you can find those extra special friends - when you least expect it!)

In terms of reconnecting, a simple, open-ended question is always a great starter and allows you to gauge how interested they are in rebuilding the friendship. For example, asking "How have things been?" or "I was just thinking about you and wandered what you have been up to lately?" From here, it is up to your own discretion as to where the relationship should go.

But don't put yourself under too much pressure! Friendship is a two-way thing and no matter how much effort you put in, it may not work out and that's okay.

Good night all!
Rookie scribe

Hi there.... Feel out of place ...don't belong anywhere
Rookie scribe

[ Edited ]

Hi there.... Feel out of place ...don't belong anywhere. Really now I can't even do this stupid page right! !!! Might as well self harm who should care ....a web page really. Thanks thats all I need

Mod Squad

[ Edited ]

Hey @Asila just wanted to touch in and make sure you're safe, I am a bit concerned about your last post. There's a free service that could be good for you if you're feeling like self-harming/down called Suicide Callback Service [link here].

I edited your post due to it's graphic nature - explains a little about it all in our community guidelines as it can be triggering for other members of the community. ReachOut.com is intended for use by 14-25 year old Australians. Anyone is free to read content on ReachOut.com but you must be 14 and over to become a member. Some other good options if you feel like you need peer support around mental health are the beyond blue forums as well the Sane forums.

Wishing you all the best - Bree/RO

Mod

Hey @Asila how are you doing? Did you want to make a thread to talk about what's going on?
Super frequent scribe

Hello Reachout People - And happy new year for 2017 

I am just posting this message today saying "That i am still alone" but have tired.

I have contact 3 friends today to come to my house for a swim in NSW hot weather. All of those people reject me because they already had plans with family. Now i understand when they have family committment.

I just want to share to you guys that i am still struggling with this loneliness. I don't want to share this knowledge with my parents as they know that i am in a down mood all the time.

I also feel alone at work to by staff members aren't including me into their groups. - I feel like a ghost.

I hope something will happen really soon.

I just want to do something really fun.. while i am still young. (A getaway, fun adventure or a fun experience)

Top High Fived Authors