Community Manager

Re: [Chat] Forever alone :(

@roseisnotaplant it is a bit scary! 

@j95 i see you have usrvived your near death training experience!

Hey @DruidChild! Good to see you, it feels like i haven't been online in ages! 

Sup @RandomName Smiley Happy 

Super star contributor

@roseisnotaplant That's a really good point that loneliness can depend on the people around you as well as being internal

Post Mod

wow, @Ben-RO i didnt know about those terms myself, its sort of reassuring to know that loneliness is being taken seriously enough for those names to be made. i used to feel quite odd feeling lonely when i was surrounded by friends, but its true, that connection is so important.

Can you be with people and still feel lonely?

well, i certainly have. i think we have all really recognised this already; that being lonely isnt always about physically being the only one around. loneliness is the lack of shared experiences, understanding and connection with others, whether they are there with you or not. its a tricky thing, loneliness. 

we are what we repeatedly do - aristotle
Builder

Yeah you definitely can be with people and feel lonely, that could happen because you don't feel safe, comfortable or valued around those people, you can feel disconnected.
Rookie scribe

How do you stop yourself from talking to ex because you're lonely?

Post Mod

@roseisnotaplant exactly!!! its not always as easy as us lacking connection, a lot of times in life we might find ourselves surrounded by people we dont really understand or get along with, and this can be a huge source of loneliness too. thats a good way of thinking about the causes of loneliness,  its not always us, or them, but a mix of the two and the situation!

we are what we repeatedly do - aristotle
Builder

Oh yeah barely @Ben-RO I can't move!
Builder

Haven't seen you around in ages @Ben-RO
Rookie scribe

Loneliness to me is feeling alone no matter if you are with people or just by yourself

Mod

Can you be with people and still feel lonely?

I definitely think you can, and I think @Ben-RO raised an interesting point about social isolation. Sometimes it can seem like the people you are hanging out with have closer relationships with each other than you do with them, which can only amplify any feelings of loneliness that we might be having. It's also pretty reassuring to know that (from this thread so far) feeling lonely around other people is super common!

Top High Fived Authors