Builder

Re: [Chat] Forever alone :(

What are some activities that have worked for you in the past when you have felt lonely?

• Distracting myself with different activities
  • Thinking about future social experiences like footy training
  • Play games online
  • Listening to music

Sorry I'm late people

Mod

What are some activities that have worked for you in the past when you have felt lonely?

@Craycray17 completely agree with your answer to this question! Somehow you've put all of my thoughts into awesome and insightful words...! It can be so easy to get stuck in certain thought patterns, so focusing on external stuff can be really helpful.

Sending a text/Facebook message to someone can be really powerful. Just recently, I have reached out to organise a dinner with a whole bunch of school friends that I had kind of lost contact with - by the sounds, some of my friends had been feeling isolated too, but unsure how to reconnect with the group (especially after quite a long time).

I also try to engage myself in hobbies like reading and knitting, or watching TV – these help me to feel productive, and give you something to talk about with friends. After I started knitting, I discovered this was a common interest with a friend that I had known for years!

Builder

@roseisnotaplant Ambivert?

Super star contributor

@Craycray17 I've never the thought of it as mindfulness before, but I guess that's what it is! Tea is brilliant for loneliness Smiley Tongue

@roseisnotaplant Podcasts are so cool. My favourite one is Welcome to NightVale Smiley Happy 

Builder

[ Edited ]

I'm too far behind to join in but will probably come back to have a read later. Hope you're having a good night all Smiley Happy

@roseisnotaplant ambivert?

Haha @FootyFan26 beat me to it Smiley Wink

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________
Mod

Hey @FootyFan26 great to chat to you again! Thinking about future social experiences is a great strategy and a reminder that we are perhaps not as isolated as our brains are tricking us to feel.

Builder

@FootyFan26 That sounds like it Smiley Happy

@DruidChild I've heard of Welcome to NightVale before, should I try it?

Builder

If I'm in a group and I feel lonely sometimes I take 5 minutes out, have a breather, and then come back, it doesn't really fix the lonely feeling but it sort of stops some of the bad thoughts from escalating.
If I'm at home by myself and I feel lonely I sometimes like to make use of that time I am alone, maybe I'll get to watch tv in the lounge room without anyone bothering me or I can play some loud music while I cook. Or I might message someone and let them know I'm looking for someone to talk to.
Builder

I just got here too @Bay52VU so feel free to stay, you don't have to though...
Community Manager

This is a tricky one, because sometimes it can feel really hard to "crack the shell" of social connection, especially if you feel a little bit isolated or alone. This is partly because it's hard to build the skills you need to connect with people if you don't connect with people very often. If you don't connect often, you meet less people so you have less skills and basically it goes around in circles and makes connecting feel harder and harder!

So they key for me and for a lot of the people i helped to make friends (this was literally my job once upon a time Smiley Tongue) is to just keep practicing! Every time you make even a small connection with another person you push back on the cycle that makes social isolation so hard to break out of. 

Anyway that was a really long build up to my answer to the question which is: practice connecting whenever you can, even just little things like asking the person at the checkout how their day's going, join a forum (like this one!) and just chat to people, join a club or group that does something you like or volunteer for a cause that matters to you! Even if you don't make a million friends right away it will help you with your connecting skills and that will in turn help you grow lots of awesome friendships over time. 

Gosh that answer was like the longest most rambling one i have written in a while Smiley Tongue 

Top High Fived Authors