Community Manager

Re: [Chat] Forever alone :(

@FootyFan26! Heyyy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

Post Mod

yes @roseisnotaplant, its an introverted extrovert!!!! thats definitely what i am. heres a really cool link about it i found ages ago that helped me work that out!

we are what we repeatedly do - aristotle
Builder

@Ben-RO! Heyyy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Tongue

Post Mod

@Bay52VU and @FootyFan26!!!!!!!! ah long time no talk. thanks for making it tonight, i always love what you have to bring to GR
Community Manager

It seems like while i was writing my long and rambling answer about finding more ways to connect with other people a lot of people wrote answers about dealing with the lonely feelings. 

Is loneliness just a feeling that we have to work through sometimes? 

Builder

Ooh, that's an interesting article @Craycray17. Maybe I'm an extroverted introvert... brb, having a slight identity crisis.

Post Mod

@Ben-RO i really appreciate your point that its tough to crack the shell, and tha practising is worth it.

it reminds me of some advice that i was given when i was feeling lonely when i first started uni! i was told that every time you ask someone to catch up, to chat or just if you can sit next to them in class, approach it like an experiment. it migh work, it might not, but there is always the next time. for every successful chat or 'crack' of the difficult task of seeking friends to chat to, or turning to someone for support, there are some past unsuccessful times too.

im curious... what does everyone think of chatting to others in your lives about the feeling of loneliness? Do you have someone you chat to, or have you had experience practising this before?

Post Mod

hahahaha @roseisnotaplant, please dont have an identiy crisis!! actually, you know what, i think i have one every WEEK!

i think im really learning that its okay not to know exactly who you are, if youre introverted, extroverted, left, right, up, down ahahah. it changes, we change over life too. its possible to be an extrovert and then change to an introvert, or other way around!
Mod

@Ben-RO wow awesome response! Close friendships take time to form, and it's okay not to form connections with every person that you meet, or fit in with every single group. There's a thing in psychology called the Mere Exposure Effect, which basically says that we prefer people/things that we see a lot of the time. So simply joining a club or volunteering on a regular basis (or simply saying hi and sitting next to someone in a weekly tutorial class like @Craycray17 mentioned) can help to increase social connected-ness Smiley Happy

Builder

What does everyone think of chatting to others in your lives about the feeling of loneliness? Do you have someone you chat to, or have you had experience practising this before?

It's sort of the opposite. My friend has a fear of loneliness and abandonment, and my only real response to this is, 'Well, I'm not going anywhere.' Is there anything else I can say?

Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count