Builder

Re: [Chat] Forever alone :(

Completely agree @Craycray17 Smiley Happy
Post Mod

@roseisnotaplant how cool it is to hear that you are able to be that support for someone who struggles with loneliness. 

we all experience loneliness, and loneliness is a normal feeling to have from time to time. its so great to hear that youre able to help someone who might struggle with that emotion more than others.

we are what we repeatedly do - aristotle
Mod

Just got here haha. Bit busy tonight so I'll have to read over this later. However, just throwing something in. I did a quick skim and someone mentioned an ambivert, which is a person with qualities of both an extrovert and introvert. Isn't that cool?

Is loneliness just a feeling that we have to work through sometimes? 

Work through? Yes I believe so. Alone? Definitely not. Loneliness definitely isn't going to get better alone, as that's how it started. I've personally gone through a long period of loneliness and didn't realize until much later that it wasn't going to go away on its own. My interpretation of working through = action. For the majority of times, you definitely need to do something (anything) to actually achieve a result. I believe I read somewhere that there are very few people in the world who are actually capable or living a hermit style alone (it's actually an interesting read on those who live isolated from the world). Loneliness isn't likely to get better unless you put some belief and effort into it yourself. True friendships are mutual after all.

Have a good chat Smiley Happy 

Mod

What does everyone think of chatting to others in your lives about the feeling of loneliness? Do you have someone you chat to, or have you had experience practising this before?

Funy you should bring this up @Craycray17, I’ve had a lot of conversations with friends about loneliness lately! My main takeaway has been that sometimes it’s hard to make time to see friends when we are busy with study or working long hours, and that almost everybody feels this way at some point.

But approaching that initial conversation can be hard, so I'm super interested to read everyone's thoughts on this one!

Builder

Is loneliness just a feeling that we have to work through sometimes?

This question os kinda confusing... I don't know

what does everyone think of chatting to others in your lives about the feeling of loneliness? Do you have someone you chat to, or have you had experience practising this before?

That'd make look weak and needy @Craycray17.  I feel like I'd look like I have to rely on someone.  I have someone who has opened their door to me but I don't have theguts to admit that I want to talk to them.  I've been lonely for the last couple of weeks and I've seen them frequently but don't want to ruin my reputation.

Post Mod

hey @RevzZ, i love this response!!!

its very true that whilst we may feel alone during the experience of loneliness, we dont have to sit out the emotion alone. we can talk to others about this feeling.
For some of us, that might mean telling a family member or friend, but for others, that might mean a quick message on RO!
seeing as we all have a shared experience of feeling lonely at times, RO could be a really good place to talk out loneliness.
Community Manager

Whoa nice one @RevzZ! This is how i imagine you walking away from your awesome post bomb in my mind Smiley Tongue 

Boom post

Mod

@roseisnotaplant good on you for being such a supportive friend! Knowing what to say can be really, really tricky sometimes.

Post Mod

that is an interesting approach @FootyFan26. and i understand this feeling towards asking for help because before i decided to ask one day, i thought this same thing.

these days, for me at least, it takes a lot more guts for me to admit that i need help than it does to shut away and pretend im fine, so in a lot of ways, ive come to see asking for help as a really strong quality. i think that everyone dislikes being vulnerable, or looking vulnerable, thats why for me, i think it takes a lot of guts to admit that we arent feeling so great sometimes!

what are your thoughts on that?
Mod

@FootyFan26 I'd say that's a pretty common thought to have - opening up and saying that you feel lonely out loud can be scary and intimidating, especially if you're a pretty independent person. That's very cool of that person to provide you with a space to talk if you need it - what could make it easier to talk do you think?

Top High Fived Authors