Mod

[Chat] Mental Health Month: Learn and Grow!

[ Edited ]

Hi Everyone! 

As Monday 3 October is a public holiday in some states and some of the RO staff and mods are also on holidays, there isn't an official Getting Real session on Monday. I thought it would be cool though for those of us who are around to still have a discussion about something! 

Image result for excited gif

The beginning of October marks the beginning of a month with a lot of focus on mental health. YAY! 10 October is WORLD Mental Health Day, 9-15 October is Mental Health Week, and in NSW they even have Mental Health Month! This year's Mental Health Month Theme is: 'Learn and Grow'. This is a big topic that can mean a lot of different things to different people. Because you're all so awesome and smart, I'd like to get all your thoughts on what this means to you and how we can practice it! (No I don't live in NSW either so this is for all of you! Smiley Tongue

So if you'd like to join me, hop on here on Monday 3 October 8pm (AEDaylightSavingsT) to share your ideas! (If you can't join us Monday I'd still love your thoughts so please post them below!) Smiley Very Happy 

rainbow vomit

Builder

Re: Unofficial GR - Mental Health Month: Learn and Grow!

I'll be there Cat Tongue This seems like an awesome discussion, see y'all then!

Uber contributor

This sounds awesome, I'll do my best to join in tonight! Smiley Happy

Builder

I'll be there!!
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

I wish I could. Extremely busy week. Smiley Sad Have a good discussion though!

Mod

Hello everyone! Welcome to this week’s GR! Tonight we’ll be talking Mental Health Month and this year’s topic: Learn and Grow!

Thanks to @N1ghtW1ng who couldn’t join us tonight but helped out with the questions!

Before we get started, please keep in mind our community guidelines for the duration of the discussion.

If for any reason you feel distressed or need to talk to someone please do no hesitate to contact Lifeline on 13 11 14, KHL on 1800 55 1800 (or via chat service) or beyondblue on 1300 22 4636 (or via chat).

Now to get going! We’ll start with a general question:

What is mental health and why is it important?

Uber contributor

Hi everyone Smiley Happy 

what is mental health and why why is it important?

To me mental health means being in a headspace where you can feel things appropriately and have the life, relationships, and experiences that you want without being impacted by illness. Mental health includes things like having self-awareness and self-compassion and being able to do everyday tasks and function in the way you want to. 

Mental health is important because it impacts every part of your life! It even impacts on whether you have a life or not - poor mental health can be life threatening and is often lethal. 

Mod

What is mental health and why is it important? 

According to the World Health Organisation, mental health is the state of wellbeing in which every person can cope with the normal stresses of life, work productively and contribute to their community (WHO, 2014). 

I think this is a great summary of what mental health is and why it is important. Being mentally healthy I think means being content in life, being able to function and participate in day to day life and able to deal with life events in a healthy and productive way without them interfering with your life. 

It's important because, we all need to be mentally to healthy to live our best and most productive life and knowing what mental health is and how to maintain it is a big step in doing that. 

Mod

Welcome @DruidChild! Awesome answer, very well put! 

Anyone else coming to join us? @j95 @roseisnotaplant @redhead @Bay52VU

Uber contributor

@Randomness I agree it's so important for people to know and understand how to look after our own mental health!

Top High Fived Authors