Builder

Re: Unofficial GR - Mental Health Month: Learn and Grow!

Yes im here just watching a very interesting show on ABC so might get distracted.

Mod

Ok onto the next question:

What kind of challenges can/have you and other people with mental illness face?

Builder

Solid answers from @Randomness and @DruidChild Smiley Happy I 100% agree that mental health has a significant impact on all aspects of your life and is equally important as physical and social health!

------

To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world. x
Builder

To me mental health means being in space where you feel you can cope with the usual stress and experiences of day to day that you want without being impacted by symptoms of mental illness. Mental health is important because it affects our everyday life.
Super star contributor

Cool what's the show about @j95? Smiley Happy 

Hi @kaysee Smiley Happy 

I think there's kinda three 'types' of challenges...there's the mental ones, obviously, as in the emotional and mental symptoms of the illness itself. Then there's physical challenges, like fatigue or gaining or losing weight. And there's social challenges, stigma and people's prejudice and ignorance surrounding mental illness. 

Mod

Welcome @kaysee

Mental illness can have many effects on a person's life. At a clinical level, there are so many different types of mental illness, which can cause lots of things and sometimes occur together. Mental illness can have a huge effect on people's day to day life, making things like work, study and relationships difficult, affect people's ability to do and enjoy things, get out of the house and can make people feel downright miserable, confused, angry, scared, whatever. It can affect physical health as well and sometimes it can result in serious injury or take people's lives. 

Builder

Mental illness significantly affecting everyday like such as study, sleep and personal relationships. It can somebody's emotions more extreme and more intrusive. It can unfortunately result in people hurting themselves or ending their lives.
Builder

@DruidChild it was Australian Story and they did a thing on a young couple with Down Syndrome who wanted to start a family and basically how that was going to go down, it was quite interesting, when I saw the ad for it I was like yeah of course let them be adults but by the end I definitely thought a bit differently on the topic.
Builder

Sorry guys! Totally spaced on the daylight savings time thing Smiley Tongue

What is mental health and why is it important? 

I think mental health is to do with having internal wellness, in the types of thoughts you have, resiliance, activities you pursue, emotions you experience. It's important because it can affect every aspect of a person's life and the way they perceive and react to things.

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________
Mod

Sounds interesting @j95 welcome! 

No worries @Bay52VU I suspected daylight savings would get people! 

@DruidChild I like the way you've broken it down into types of challenges and I agree there are definitely mental, physical and social challenges. 

Top High Fived Authors