Builder

Re: Unofficial GR - Mental Health Month: Learn and Grow!

What kind of challenges can/have you and other people with mental illness face?

• Dealing with and managing a range of symptoms depending on what the mental illness might be, where some of those symptoms may only be obvious to the person experiencing them vs. some that may be evident to other people.
  • Getting access to appropriate support/treatment - depending on personal circumstances it may not be easy to get (e.g. living in a remote area)
  • Dealing with stigma, both internal and external
____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________
Super star contributor

@j95 I liked how you said it makes emotions more extreme and intrusive...I feel like that's a very apt way of describing it. Wow, that documentary sounds really interesting, might need to see if it's on iview. 

Welcome @Bay52VU 

(also my tablet tends to overheat when I do these so if I drop out suddenly it's computer trouble...) 

Builder

HELLO sorry I sort of forgot about this but I'm here now Smiley Tongue

Mod

So we've talked about what mental health is and how it can affect people - a very important thing that affects every  area of our lives! Now to dig a bit more into the theme: 

Mental Health Month: Learn and Grow. What does this mean to you?

Builder

@DruidChild Hi Smiley Happy Great answer again, I would have categorised it the same way!

@Randomness thank you! this is my first GR sesh so I'm very excited!

Just adding on to what's already been said, even with the same mental illness, people can face different challenges at various levels of severity.

------

To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world. x
Builder

A big part of getting people to understand an issue such as mental health is through education (hence learn) and then people can apply what they've learned to interactions in everyday life (hence grow. Do people still use hence?).

Mod

@Bay52VU Yes it can definitely look different to the person experiencing it and to outsiders and yes on top of the individual effects, accessing support and fighting stigma are definitely a challenge! 

Super star contributor

Hi @roseisnotaplant Smiley Happy 

mental health month: learn and grow. what does this mean to you?

To me it means learning new skills for recovering from mental illness and learning new reasons to recover and live. It also means teaching what I've learned to others because sharing knowledge is an important part of learning. To me growing right now means growing and discovering new things about myself as a person that I didn't have the headpsace to discover until now. 

Builder

Learning and growing to me is intercorrelated. As much as it sucks, sometimes we need to go through some tough stuff so that we could learn from it which allows us to grow. AT the same time if we don't grow, we won't be able to experience more and learn more Smiley Happy

------

To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world. x
Builder

I haven't read anything about what the topic for this year's Mental Health Month is about, but to me "learn and grow" suggests that we should be open to learning more about mental illnesses and how they effect people as well as how they can be successfully treated/managed to allow a person to develop and improve their quality of life.

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________
Top High Fived Authors