Mod

Re: Unofficial GR - Mental Health Month: Learn and Grow!

Goodnight @DruidChild Thanks for your awesome input! 

Builder

How can we encourage others/society to learn and grow in the area of mental health and what kinds of things do you think people need to know?

I think programs or just awareness in places like schools, unis and sport centres would be a start. People should know what kind of mental health issues there are, and maybe a bit about how to support someone going through it, or seek help if they're going through it themselves.

Mod

@roseisnotaplant Yep definitely knowledge about mental illness in self and others, help seeking and supporting others and programs around these things. 

I think raising awareness is definitely a big thing, that mental illness is common, important and there's no shame in it. Help is out there in many places and it's ok to ask for it. I think a better overall understanding of mental illness and it's treatments and reducing stigma around this is needed. We need to help others learn, support others and be open about our own experiences. 

Mod

And for our final question: 

What are some strategies we can use to deal with tough times? 

Builder

How can we encourage others/society to learn and grow in the area of mental health and what kinds of things do you think people need to know?

Pretty much what you guys already said Smiley Tongue

Awareness to improve people's knowledge about mental health and illnesses, ways to maintain mental health and how to identify when a mental illness might be on its way (for prevention/early detection), and normalising it a bit more so that people are willing to seek help sooner and can have larger support systems.

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________
Builder

Talk to someone, play guitar, talk to someone, drink tea, talk to someone, write down everything you're thinking and feeling, talk to someone, do some other enjoyable activity, talk to someone, and take a shower. Also talk to someone.

Builder

[ Edited ]

@DruidChild good night!! Smiley Happy

The thing is that there are so many out there! And it depends on your personal preferences too. Some people might prefer social activities like talking to family/friends, whilst others find physical activities (i.e. meditation, journalling, exercising) to work better for them. Just need to figure out what suits you and your situation best. And if you're ever stuck, utilise your community resources - counsellors, psychologists, ReachOut Smiley Wink, headspace etc. 

------

To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world. x
Mod

Haha @roseisnotaplant yes talking is very important! Some very helpful and practical strategies there. 

@Bay52VU I agree things like prevention, early detection and normalising mental illness is really important. 

Builder

Determine if there's a cause to the tough time

Try to figure out whether we can do something about what's causing it, or if it's something where we can only influence our reaction/response to it

Maintain healthy physical, mental and social habits

Talk to someone if we're not having success dealing with it on our own or it's impacting safety

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________
Mod

Some great ideas everyone! 

Also, I like to get outside and get some sunshine, go for a walk, go to the beach, breathe!, watch a movie, get enough and not too much sleep, hang out with pets if you have them, problem solve, plan, reminisce on the good times... 

Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count