Mod

Re: [Chat] Motivation and goals

@N1ghtW1ng YAY you finally made it! Smiley Very Happy Good to see you! Now do you understand what I mean by meme war? Smiley Tongue

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Builder

Do you find making goals helps you to feel motivated? Do you stick to them?

Goals help me feel motivated in the short term i.e as i'm making the goal (hahaha), then I kinda lose my passion and therefore don't stick to them. 

I think the size goal is important and making sure it's a smart goal - specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time-based.

Builder

Goals usually help me a bit. I like to do lists, they keep me organised and focused (usually Smiley Tongue ). Are smart goals a universal thing @Alison5? We use them at our school sometimes, they make a lot of sense.
Mod

@Alison5 Me everytime a teacher at school tried to make us write SMART goals:

goals

Smiley Tongue

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Mod

As @lokifish said - positive reinforcement is key. This could come from others or from yourself. Ticking things off my to-do list serves as positive reinforcement for me Smiley Happy

@RevzZ I agree - short term goals are the only goals that seem to work out/are specific enough to actually complete Smiley Tongue ....remember your SMART goals people :'(
Builder

I discovered smart goals through therapy - they were taught to high school aged students.
Mod

@lokifish I still don't see how it's a war, but yes Smiley Tongue
Builder

I find it really useful to create mini-goals for short-term things like school work or other things that is going on because then it motivates me to actually get them done.
Builder

@May_ i actually feel the opposite, im better with long term goals it give me something to focus on and run towards. short term goals tend to scare me and i break down and say i just cant do it
Mod

@redhead that's interesting. do you think long-term goals give you something to strive towards? Smiley Happy
Top High Fived Authors