Builder

Re: [Chat] Motivation and goals

@letitgo that sound so awesome!! so has it motivated you to keep writing other novels? is it something that you're interested in?
Community Manager

Here is a nerdy curve that kinda explains how stress helps, or doesn't help your motivation based on how much of it there is! 

stress-diagram.jpeg

Builder

I've already failed an English SAC @j95. If I fail another unit I have to redo a year of English so the pressure's on! If you fail enough units you do have to redo a year.
Builder

Where do you think your motivation came from? Did you motivation waiver?

For this case my motivation came from past experiences and the fact that I have always wanted things to be better for people, as well as myself, and I saw a gap and decided I'd try it out
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

[ Edited ]

@FootyFan26 @roseisnotaplant ahhh I remember SACs Smiley Tongue (I sound so old right now, but I only graduated in 2014 hahaha). They seem really stressful at the time but once you finish year 12 they honestly don't matter. So try not to stress too much (easier said than done I know, but just trust me Smiley Happy)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Builder

sometimes i can get so stressed that it makes me motivated, how does that work @Ben-RO
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

@Ben-RO ooh I love nerdy graphs like that Smiley Very Happy I think motivation tends to be highest when we're in the middle, rather than at either extreme

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Builder

My motivation wavers all the time. It's super fluid - sometimes I'm really into what I'm doing, and sometimes I just don't want to do anything and UGH (although that might not be lack of motivation, that might just be a dip in mental health, idk). My motivation comes from a bunch of places, I think the two main ones are fear (like fear of consequences about having not done my maths homework), and success (like finishing an awesome creative project).

Builder

I've been motivated in things I enjoy, like others have said.

I think it came from a desire deep inside. Wanting to reach a goal and an end point. Wanting to succeed. In long-term things it definitely waivers, however i'm usually pretty good with short-term things. To the point where I almost become obsessed actually.

Mod

Good luck with your first SAC @roseisnotaplant!

I think my motivation came from the fact that writing is something I really enjoy. It's something I don't think I'm terrible at (which is a real endorsement for me to say about myself, haha!) and something that I'd been wanting to pursue for a while. The structure of NaNo helped me, especially being able to update my word count as I went and track my progress with a progress bar and a graph. I think that held me accountable a bit, if that makes sense.

Having said all that, my motivation certainly did waver at times. I didn't really plan before I started writing so sometimes I'd sit down and have no idea what was supposed t happen in the next scene/chapter, and writer's block would set in. And other times I'd succumb to doing something passive and easier like watching TV Smiley Tongue 

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count