Community Manager

Re: [Chat] Overcoming bad experiences.

Sup @j95

Builder

What are some ways memories of bad experiences or regrets get in the way of new, positive experiences for you?

For me anyway, I find I focus so much on regrets and past experiences that I often miss out on the positive things happening around me. It's like living in the past which makes you miss the present.
They can definitely "kill the mood" when these memories come up and if not effectively delt with, you could be ruminating on them for hours.
And (for me anyway), I find I then hate myself for having engaged in the memory, ultimately leading to more regret and upset. It's a bit like a never ending cycle. Smiley Indifferent
Community Manager

Whoa that's tough @StarLord

I remember I moved to a new primary school when i was in like year 1. And I was really nervous and I wanted to impress the new kids. So when two of them came up to say hi i was like "what's 100 plus 100?" and immediately new how much of a derp i had been. To this day i don't know why i said that lol. 

Builder

@Alison5 I can relate to that cycle. Once it starts it can be hard to break
Community Manager

@redhead do you reckon it can be a bit of a snowball effect? 

Builder

What are some ways memories of bad experiences or regrets get in the way of new, positive experiences for you?

I get really worried that some bad things that have happened in the past could happen again. I start to think about some of those bad things over and over in my head and I find all the possible ways that new experiences won't work out because something not so good might happen.

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Builder

What are some ways memories of bad experiences or regrets get in the way of new, positive experiences for you? 

• Fear of it happening again
  • Take unnecessary preventative measures to prevent it
  • Assuming it's going to happen the same way
  • Too scared to have another go
Community Manager

@redhead @Alison5 it seems like you two are noticing that it is a bit of a cycle. What are some things you do to help jump out of the spiral? 

Builder

@Ben-RO mindfulness is a good strategy and reminding yourself of the present. Sometimes it can be as simple as focusing on something like your breathing.
Community Manager

I am definitely seeing a bit of a trend here people. Lots of very similar experiences amirite? 

Top High Fived Authors