Builder

Re: [Chat] Overcoming bad experiences.

I'm really not sure about the answer to the this question
Mod

@roseisnotaplant that has to be the best entry into a forum I've ever read Smiley Very Happy
Community Manager

@Alison5 that's a really cool way of noticing and working through that! 

Something I always find tricky (perhaps because of bad experiences) is practicing compassion with myself. Basically a lot of the time i can be pretty hard on myself and i have to remember that I am actually doing the best I can and that's pretty damn awesome. Is there anything you do to practice compassion for yourself? Sorry if that's a weird question Smiley Tongue 

Builder

Thanks @StarLord, I try Smiley Very Happy

Builder

@Ben-RO positive self-talk and rewarding yourself for achieving goals or doing well.
Mod

@Ben-RO @Alison5
I've found it helpful sometimes to practice compassion on myself by thinking "if my good friend were in my shoes, what would I say to him/her?"
I really believe the world would be a lot more compassionate if we treated ourselves the way we treat our best friends.
Builder

I practice compassion with myself but looking at things I have done in the past and how far I have comes, it makes me feel good about myself and makes me proud
Community Manager

What are some things to help us notice  or be mindful of our reaction to a situation and how old experiences are influencing it? 

For me it's all about mindfulness. I had to learn what chilled out @Ben-RO is like before I could notice when I was not being chilled out and doing something like worrying about ancient history. So that meant doing lots of mindfulness exercises like mindful eating, mindful listening and mindfulness meditation too. 

Builder

I definitely agree @StarLord but I can definitely do some more practice around this!
We are our own worst critiques!
Community Manager

Something I love doing for compassion is thinking about what I would say to someone I really cared about who was in my situation, which is often not anywhere near as nice as I am being to myself about whatever the tough time is. 

Top High Fived Authors