Mod

Re: [Chat] Overcoming bad experiences.

What are some things we can DO when regrets start to pop up in our head?

I've never really been one to dwell on everyday regrets, life goes on.

• one coping strategy - I usually ask myself if it is something I can change, if not I tend to let it go.
  • one distraction strategy - binge on netflix
  • one learning or challenging your thinking strategy - I think my coping strategy is a thinking strategy.

Hmm ... maybe I should come up with another coping strategy, talk to someone you trust about it. They can sometimes help put things into prospective for you.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Community Manager

Coping Strategy - Freak out a bit, take a moment to work through it and then try the thing again. It takes about 20 minutes to get over that really really stressful bit, so if you ever feel like you've flipped your lid. Take a bit of time and then have another crack at it. 
Distraction - 4-7-8 breathing: in for four, hold for seven out for eight Smiley Happy 
Challenging negative thinking - Be compassionate, think about what I would say to someone who was freaking out about a bad experieince, say that to myself. For e.g. Hey, it's okay to feel this way right now, that was a tough thing, give yourself a little time and remember that it's okay even if you do stuff up (which you probably won't Smiley Tongue

Mod

Wow so many great points on here!!

@roseisnotaplant Definitely agree with you, that makes heaps of sense to me. Walk fast and acknowledge that im being irrational is definitely what I do.

Recently I just write everything down so I can get it out of my head. Ill have a go and challenging my thoughts on paper if I feel I need it but sometimes I jsut need to get it out and when I write it down I sort've realise that it's irrational?

Community Manager

[ Edited ]
Hmm, I think we are pretty much ready for another question! 

So you share these thoughts or feelings with someone else?  Who do you turn to for support when you're going through a rough time?

Builder

@Stealth_ninja I also find writing things down very helpful. I have this book that's just full of incoherent brain thoughts, and it's cool to look down at the things you're worried about and be like, 'It's all just one paragraph. I can conquer one paragraph.'

Builder

I don't have a lot of people I share things with when I'm going through a rough time - sometimes I can count of my friends, sometimes not so much it depends on who it is, I can definitely count on RO
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Builder

So you share these thoughts or feelings with someone else?  Who do you turn to for support when you're going through a rough time?

Either my friend, or the internet (namely here Smiley Very Happy). It's just good to talk about it with people you can trust as validation or support.

Mod

[ Edited ]

Yeah! Loving your analogies @roseisnotaplant I find especially when Im super stressed or get overwhelmed but something it looks much less scary on paper!

I sometimes find that if I go to someone for help and im not really ready for it, it sometimes makes it worse? I have a few really close friends and family that support me but I think for me it matters WHO but it also matters WHEN I go to them. Like how receptive am I to listen to what they have to say. Also, reachout community, other people that have also experience anxiety - I feel they and sometimes I just need someone to be like "yeah that sucks, keep swimming"

Community Manager

I share these thing with my Partner, my Clinical supervisor and sometimes my Dad. That's about it! I find it tricky to talk about these things... hmm. 

Builder

also sometimes my brother but I haven't seen him in a couple months Smiley Sad
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Top High Fived Authors