Mod

Re: [Chat] Overcoming bad experiences.

So you share these thoughts or feelings with someone else?  Who do you turn to for support when you're going through a rough time?

Friends, trusted wise older adults, psychologist, GP, helplines, RO! 

Builder

So you share these thoughts or feelings with someone else?  Who do you turn to for support when you're going through a rough time?

Not many people.  I've started turning to withdrawing which doesn't help at all and I need to change that, for now I don't really have anyone I have the guts to ask in person.  Something that definitely needs some work.

Builder

Totally agree @roseisnotaplant!
I think it's key that your support can validate the way you feel. And this is usually why we can't always take care of ourselves without support as we tend to question and down-play our own feelings and experiences.
Mod

Heya peeps! I literally just got home and thought I'd pop in and say hi Smiley Happy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Community Manager

Okay crew, let's help @Ben-RO and @FootyFan26 out here!

What are some things we can do to feel a bit more comfortable with talking about this stuff if that's what we want to do? 

Builder

Good question.... I don't have an answer
Builder

@lokifish! Hey, good to see you! Kind of. What's the equivalent of 'good to see you' in internet terms...

Mod

Close friends, my mum, GP, psychologist. I definitely think social support is crucial for getting through hard times, and it's also good to have more than one person to turn to (if possible) so they don't get burnt out trying to support you 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Mod

The internet helps? I find writing things in written form or in text means i can construct it and re-write it if I need to. Its still super hard though, the people that im lucky to have to lean on are very limited and i've built that relationship over years and even then sometimes there are things that I don't say

Mod

What are some things we can do to feel a bit more comfortable with talking about this stuff if that's what we want to do?

I find that writing a letter/Facebook message is a lot less scary than talking about stuff face-to-face Smiley Happy interested to hear if other people have different coping strategies for this as it's something I struggle with

Top High Fived Authors