Mod

Re: [Chat] Physical Health Affecting our Mental Health

Hello everyone and apologies for being late to the party!! Smiley Very Happy

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Builder

2.How can exercise help our mental health? 

Without going into the science of it, it releases endorphins - Happy Hormones!!

I also feel like the social aspect of it could be helpful for some people if they are doing a team sport.  Exercise could also help with body image issues for some people.

I refer to both because to me sport = competition and exercise = something to focus on a specific area of fitness.

Mod

My favourite way to excercise is by going on walks or jogs (not fit enough for run for long periods of time yet).

And my least favourite is definitely bike riding. My legs don't like it at all!

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

There is also research to say that exercise is the most effective preventative measure for dementia! That's the main reason I work out - don't want to get dementia like my granny.
Community Manager

@loves netball well admitedly since i started working on my hip flexor and core strength running has become a lot more fun. Who knew that sitting at a desk for 12 hours a day was unhealthy? 

2.How can exercise help our mental health?

So many ways! I hear of a thing called Endorphins that can be pretty sweet for mood, maybe @loves netball or someone else can explain what they actually do in our brains/bodies. 

I also think exercise can be a pretty good distraction or coping mechanism too, or give us time and space to think through a problem. I know that's why i do free diving. My sister took a photo of my once before and after i went out on a reef for a couple of hours. It was really interesting because you could see how much more relaxed i was in my face and posture and stuff, like i looked like a total cranky pants before and after i looked like i'd had a nap, rather than swimming a bunch of K's. 

Mod

Ahhh @StarLord I agree. I did the 1,000 steps with my dad recently and I think it's one of my favourites purely because I associate it with spending that quality time with him. Smiley Happy

Also, excercise has generally had positive effects on my mental health. For instance, I went on the treadmill earlier, and the stress I was feeling from my long day faded away and was replaced with feeling proud of myself for pushing myself to exercise. Smiley Very Happy

Mod

100% agree with all those points @loves netball and I love all the facts!! Smiley Very Happy

Super star contributor

[ Edited ]

@StarLord at uni we cover stuff about exercise with dementia, PD (Parkinson's disease), MS, stroke, spinal cord injury, mental health, acquired brain injury. It's really quite fascinating 

Sounds like @Ben-RO has an idea of his bad desk posture. Hips flexors and running don't mix hahaha

Did you know movement is actually better for back pain than trying to brace all the time because the spine vertebra are designed to move not stay rigid

Mod

1. What's your favourite way and least favourite way to exercise? 

Favourite way? Tennis. Least favourite way...funny enough...exercising haha!

2. How can exercise help our mental health?

As already helpfully described before, it can be a distraction and a way to feel more positive. I do love a walk when I know I'm not feeling the greatest and exploring new places helps me do that. I encourage nice walks amongst the trees!

Mod

@loves netball - what course do you get to study that in? Sounds awesome Smiley Happy

Have to admit when I found out exercise is the best anti-dementia strategy I was like "dammit! I just wanted to do crosswords and sudoku's not get sweaty!!"
Top High Fived Authors