Mod

Re: [Chat] Physical Health Affecting our Mental Health

My favourite way to exercise would be walking the dogs. Sometimes I'll do some jogging and throw in a bit of a run.
My least favourite way... I dunno. I don't really exercise much to really have a least favourite.

@Ben-RO yes to hiking! Smiley Very Happy I think I'll fill up my winter holidays with some hiking (especially since I'll be able to drive to places Smiley Very Happy yay)

2. (because I'm going to number the questions now Smiley Tongue) Exercise can help our mental health because it keeps us healthy and exercised (such a horrid explanation Smiley Tongue).

@letitgo I'm sure there's some cake left somewhere.
Builder

Time for question 3!

How can our mental health affect our physical health?
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Super star contributor

@StarLord clinical exercise physiology (it's post grad aka masters)

Mod

Ooooh @loves netball that course sounds so interesting!! I shall have to ask you about it in another thread!! (if you don't mind) Smiley Happy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Builder

Endorphins are created in the brain, spinal cord and other parts of the body and are released in response to chemicals called neurotransmitters from the brain and then they connect to the neuron receptors.  The endorphins themselves act as analgesics and sedatives which pretty much means they lessen the perception of pain, trigger a positive feeling and I guess make you a bit more tired as well.

5 minutes of research ^^^

Mod

3. When you're really tired or feeling down mentally, you can end up being less motivated to exercise, eat well, keep healthy and so your physical health declines.
Builder

Yeah totally agree, spot on @N1ghtW1ng
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

How can our mental health affect our physical health?

Stress can increase cortisol levels, blood pressure, cravings for fatty foods etc, all of which can have detrimental consequences on our physical health. I also find that when I am in a poor state of mental health, I am less inclined to exercise and look after my physical well-being. On the contrary, when I am feeling realtively well, I tend to be more motivated to exercise, eat well etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Super star contributor

Q3 has my name written all over it.

Most people who are mentally unwell are generally more inclined to not be physically unwell.

Could be a range of other co-morbidities such as heart disease, high blood pressure, obesity, type 2 diabetes. (I'm using general terms here Smiley Wink)

People may have problems with eating habits, medication side effects, alcohol & drug problems, not exercising. 

Like most people who feel terrible mentally aren't always going to be looking after themselves physically so they can end up with some of the problems I listed above.

Builder

Well for me, I'm sort the opposite in a way, I do excersise to help when I'm not feeling great rather than skipping it
Top High Fived Authors