Builder

Re: [Chat] Physical Health Affecting our Mental Health

G'night @N1ghtW1ng! Thanks for your contributions!
Super star contributor

I used to excessively everyday, now I try to do at least one thing active a day. And if I'm having a really bad day, the most I might do is a few pushups and body weight squats or shoot some netball goals

Super star contributor

Q4.

Everything that triggers me affects my mental health. Exercise can't always solve them Smiley Sad

But I like to think that exercise can treat my mental health problems Smiley Happy

Builder

[ Edited ]
Last question peeps!

6. If you haven't had the energy or life has just gotten in the way of exercise, how hard is it for you to get back into the swing of things? What are some things that help you get motivated and out there doing an exercise instead of a frighten? 

209.jpg

Mod

I looooove that meme @FootyFan26!

Some things that help me get back into the swing of things are seeing my family members exercise and knowing that I don't want to be the only one not doing some form of physical activity, and talking to friends about what's going on for me. Most of them know that walking really helps me and suggest it to me when I'm not feeling great. When I'm coming back to it after a low period, I start myself off gently e.g. today I only did 20 minutes instead of half an hour... 

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Builder

[ Edited ]

Sometimes the way I get back into things is just by taking small steps.
I remember last year when things were pretty crap, I didn't go to footy training for ages, then one day I went and I sat in my car and watched, the next week I went, and I stood at the sidelines, the week after I joined in. It was partly, seeing my mates having fun, wanting to do the activities cause they looked sort of interesting and just motivation that came from idk where haha ??

Community Manager

6. If you haven't had the energy or life has just gotten in the way of exercise, how hard is it for you to get back into the swing of things? What are some things that help you get motivated and out there doing an exercise instead of a frighten? 

For me, it's very hard to get started again, to the point where i am a small amount of frighten to stop exercising. However i have realised over time that it's okay to drop the ball and the key is to just pick up where i left off, or even go back a few steps and build back up when things go pearshapped, because they will, and that's okay- i think. 
Builder

Meme credit to @Ben-RO!!!
Builder

Extremely hard - especially when you feel unmotivated and like everything is so extra difficult. I find just setting a date (and with other people), kinda forces me to do it because I don't want to blow off other people. I guess that's my motivation at the moment until I actually want to exercise again.

I know I feel better during and after, but it's starting that is the hardest part.

Super star contributor

Q6.

Now I'm sure @Ben-RO will remove this if it's not allowed....

I gave up netball for some years after finishing 17s for a number of reasons - school, horrible coach who came back to the club (she made me cry in front of the whole team once), and a fear of coming across a player who deliberately ran into me (she probably didn't mean to make me land on my head though and be left with headaches and horrible nightmares from it ), so yeah I had a fear of getting concussed.

It took till two years ago to start playing competitive netball again (but I kept watching the elite the whole time I wasn't playing).

But now I have a new fear of finding more social teams (I might be playing girls footy this year so then it won't matter), but a year ago I got dicthed from social team because of mental health reasons. I spent last year being too scared to find new social (week night) teams because of my mental health. Hence this year the new goal of running marathon (I still need to sort that out) and possibly adding a new sport.

Top High Fived Authors