Post Mod

[Chat] WTF is Mindfulness?

Do you have trouble "switching off" after a busy day?  Do you spend so much time worrying about the future, the past or what's on your phone that you don't notice what's happening right now?

Phonedistractiongif

Well we have a solution for you! 

At 8pm AEST, Monday 22nd of August 2016 we're going to talk about Mindfulness, which is one way of helping to clear out some of the clutter in your brain and just notice the stuff that's going on around us. We'll explain a bit more about it and how to try it yourself. We'll even have a go at Mindfulness together in the session!

The chat will kick off at 8pm AEST, Monday 22nd of August 2016.

Log in and High Five this post for an email reminder. Click "Reply" to tell us what you'd like to talk about.

Mod

Re: [Chat] WTF is Mindfulness?

Wilkommen meine Freunde!

Haha sorry about the German, welcome my friends!
Builder

Hey everyone!!
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

Hey everyone!

I thought I would jump on tonight and help out with this chat. Even though there are a lot of things happening in my life right now, it is always good to be mindful.

mindful

Joining me as we discuss all things mindfulness is the lovely @Glass_half_full

Onto housekeeping .... As always, if you are new to ReachOut or are just need a refresher on what our Community Guidelines are, you can find them here.

If at any stage during this discussion, you feel distressed, overwhelmed or needing to talk to someone during tonight’s conversation, please do not hesitate to contact Lifeline on 13 11 14, or KHL on their chat service (or 1800 55 1800).

So let’s get started!

WTF is mindfulness?

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Community Manager

Hey everybody! Welccome! 

Gutten abend meine freunde @N1ghtW1ng - sorry my German is really, really rusty. 

Post Mod

Hey Everyone! 

I'm so keen for tonight's GR, my life is a bit of a mess too.I'm ready to be mindful Smiley Very Happy 

Mod

Your German is good @Ben-RO, your spelling could use some work though Smiley Tongue (Guten Smiley Tongue)

@stonepixie I'm glad you decided to join us! I hope this sessions helps you in dealing with stuff. It's always good to do a bit of mindfullness!

Now onto the first question
WTF is mindfulness?
To be honest, I am not 100% sure. I think of mindfulness as a way to relax, rest and recharge your mind. To put it simply Smiley Tongue
Builder

To me mindfulness is just sort of being in the moment... Actually I don't really know
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Builder

I know what it is cause I can do it but I can't explain it
Community Manager

WTF is mindfulness?

The easiest definition is just "being in the present moment". 

But what that actually feels like and how to do it as actually really kind of tricky to explain/get the hang of. 

So perhaps it's easier to explain mindfulness in terms of what it isn't.

Mindfulness is not:

Thinking about what's going to happen next

Thinking about what has already happened

Pushing away feelings

Pushing away thoughts

and it's also probably not sleeping... although i am sort of thinking it kind of is in a way. 

Top High Fived Authors