Builder

Re: [Chat] WTF is Mindfulness?

I used to think that sport was sort of mindfulness but it's kinda not cause you always have to be one step ahead and kinda analysing situations to guess what will happen next, especially in sports like football. So it's not mindfulness at all actually
Mod

Yeah, but when you think about it, sleep is more or less a distraction because you're not dealing with things but rather just pushing them away to deal with later. @N1ghtW1ng

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Mod

@Ben-RO you know, sometimes you might not be. You're thinking about yourself in that moment, right? So when you take away everything that has happened and everything that will happen, you think about what is. How you are feeling in that moment and you kind of, go inside yourself sort of and... I dunno, I've lost the thought.
Community Manager

@j95i reckon it's close to Mindfulness though. Like maybe sport is a cousin to Mindfulness? 

Mod

@stonepixie true.

@j95 @Ben-RO I think of what we're talking about now more as medative mindfulness, because this is more focused to relaxing and thinking while, like sport for example, you're also thinking in the moment and just ahead of the moment but you're not still.
Post Mod

@N1ghtW1ng That made me laugh, you proposed that sleep is similar to mindfulness and contradicted it in the same sentence. Sleep is not mindfulness just because we're not consciousness but otherwise it is one of the best ways to relax isn't it. Sleep is the best but I think lacking minfulnes can result in restlessness and poor sleep quality, which brings me to our next questions:

How do you do it??, that is, become more mindful. 

Community Manager

Hmm, well my understanding of mindfulness is that the meditative stuff is just to teach your brain how to do it the rest of the time @N1ghtW1ng so maybe sport IS a form of mindfulness.

Builder

Yeah a cousin to mindful is a good one @Ben-RO
Builder

I guess it depends on the sport, footy - not so much, swimming - I think so
Community Manager

How do you do it??, that is, become more mindful. 

Practice! There's lots of apps and stuff (which we can talk about in detail a bit later) but you can also just do really simple things. 

My favourite one is called "where are your hands?" 

You literally just think about where your hands are right now.... thats it... you're now in a state of mindfulness...until you stop thinking about where your hands are Smiley Tongue 

Top High Fived Authors