Mod

Re: [Chat] WTF is Mindfulness?

How do you do it??

There are many different ways to be mindful. At the moment, my favourite way is to crochet blankets. Smiley Happy You can't go wrong with a bubble bath and a good book. I also enjoy visiting the ocean and just being in nature in general. 

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Community Manager

Haha @j95 it's probably pretty hard to be mindful when you're being tackled... or is it? 

Builder

There are apps you can use but also just giving yourself a few moments everyday to just breathe and relax a bit, like @Ben-RO said you can do something like where are my hands
Frequent scribe

How do you do it??, that is, become more mindful. 

Mindfulness is a MASSIVE portion of DBT and I can see/feel the difference now that I'm not doing it in the group weekly and having to do it for "homework" reasons. Note to self: must begin practice again...

You are mindful when you are living solely in the present. Eg. if you're watching TV, you're just watching TV -- not simultaneously scrolling through Facebook. You are participating and completely engaged in the moment you're in. So it doesn't have to be meditative (though that is also pretty fab).

I got started by practising on small things. Like literally brushing my teeth. Instead of getting mentally busy thinking about everything I focussed on the action of brushing, the sound, tastes, feelings. It takes a shocking amount of practice though, because we're all so used to multitasking. Eventually you just find yourself immersed in many more moments and everything is actually quite a lot better for it.

Mod

Ben-RO wrote:

My favourite one is called "where are your hands?"  

I ask my housemate this question all the time. Hahaha. The first time I asked them, they thought were in trouble. hahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Builder

Yeah can get pretty difficult... although you can be a little mindful and be like omg I'm about to land face first into the mud or omg which one of you three is kicking me in the face while I lay at the bottom of this pile of people @Ben-RO but that's not really mindfulness
Community Manager

Wow @CeeGee that was an absolutely awesome answer! Thank you! 

I really love the example of teeth brushing in particular!

I try to mindfully eat, I think about the flavour, texture, smell and also just the act of eating itself (which is a little weird if you think about it too much Smiley Tongue

Community Manager

Haha @j95 i actually lol'd then. 

Also, OW. 

Mod

How do you do it??, that is, become more mindful.
I think that spending a few minutes every day to pause and be mindful about whatever it is you are doing at that moment. It's not easy to be mindful but practising it every day will make you more accustomed to it and then get better. Smiley Happy
Builder

I tried mindful eating one day but I was eating meat and that just made me feel pretty sick cause I was thinking of baby lambs
Top High Fived Authors