Mod

Re: [Chat] WTF is Mindfulness?

So we've spoken about what mindfulness is and how we do it, but why is it so important?

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Post Mod

@CeeGee I love that, being mindful while doing little things like brushing your teeth. I'm always thinking about something else and my mind is always engaged in something other than the 'Now'. I didn't realise how bad that was, I used to think that it was actually a productive thing. 

Mod

I'm sorry guys, I think I'm just going to go to bed now, or lie in front of the tv until 11. Have a great session! Smiley Happy
Frequent scribe

In group once, they led us through a practice where we examined our hand as if we were explorers who had never seen one before. And while this didn't bother me particularly, a lot of people were quite repulsed. They said it felt like looking at a slab of meat. Which is uh, interesting. It's pretty amazing all the different ways you can engage (and how everyone experiences it so differently) 

Community Manager

@N1ghtW1ng thanks for stopping by @N1ghtW1ng Smiley Happy 

Builder

its important because it can help you sort of return back to the now and let go of all your worries, just for a moment or two
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Frequent scribe

Why is it so important?

There are studies that show that people are happiest when they're focused on the present moment and that pretty much does it for me. A lot of mental health problems centre on a lot of rumination about the past and future, so if you're willing, it changes the way you think, feel and ultimately function. For the better.

Mod

We benefit from mindfulness in a number of ways. One of which is that we experience less stress, which in turn leads to other positive effects on our physical health. It also enables us to concentrate more, you are able to savour the moment more often, which enhances wellbeing. But it also allows us to accept things and move on.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Post Mod

Why is it important ?

For me it's a way of winding down and reducing stress. I feel like at this age, im so fucssed on my future that I burn myself out and my mind is constantly going. I think mindfulness activities are a good reminder to be in the now.

Community Manager

Why is it important ?

You only get each moment once... i like to appreiciate them as they happen rather than worrying about ones that haven't happened or remembering ones that I can't change (until i finish my time machine). 

Top High Fived Authors