Builder

Re: Following through on our resolutions

In the past, what do you think contributed to you following through/not following through on your resolutions?

Lazy, no real incentive or reason to follow through
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

@StarLord our ideas are so similar, haha. Sorry you got burnt out, but glad you've recognised it and can hopefully prevent it from happening again.

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Super star contributor

I'm with @May_, waiting to here your answer @Ben-RO

Mod

@loves netball so awesome that you make your own sweets! Isn't baking fun?!

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Super star contributor

@letitgo I made white choc chip cookies this afternoon 

Community Manager

In the past, what do you think contributed to you following through/not following through on your resolutions?

Most things that are worth doing in life take a while to do. It's not often that we can just walk into the shops and buy the solution to the things that really matter. Like that'd be nice, but unfortunately it's just not how it works. Unfortunately our brains aren't really set up to think like a month, or 6 months ahead, we kind of suck at thinking more than a week ahead a lot of the time Smiley Tongue 

Sooooo for me at least, it's about breaking the solution into tiny chunks, making a habit out of doing those chunks, and setting some stakes i.e a reward or consequences (you MUST be kind to yourself!)  for doing those chunks. 

So for example, i decided I wanted to get a bit stronger, i realised the best "chunk" to help me towards that was to get into the habit of exercising every day. So I joined a fundraiser (for ReachOut actually Smiley Happy ) where i challenged myself to work out every day and post a video proving it. Knowing people were checking in on me was enough to get me exercising, and after a month i was in a routine and it felt weird NOT to exercise for a little bit every day. Now I'm still doing it 6 months down the track Smiley Tongue 

Oh and a note on being kind to yourself, I reckon that means it's okay to stuff up when you're learning to form a healthy habit or replace or stop a bad habit. It's okay to stuff up, it's how we learn! 

Mod

So I am going to head off because I'm tired Smiley Tongue I hope you all have a good convo!
Community Manager

This is a bit nerdy, but we always use SMART goals at ReachOut, and I have kind of started using them in my own life too Smiley Tongue 

SMART can stand for a few things, but they all kind of help you decide the best thing to aim for, @letitgo it seemed like your answer was leaning towards a SMART goal? 

S - specific, significant, stretching

M - measurable, meaningful, motivational

A - agreed upon, attainable, achievable, acceptable, action-oriented

R - realistic, relevant, reasonable, rewarding, results-oriented

T - time-based, time-bound, timely, tangible, trackable

Super star contributor

So @Ben-RO if you've been getting stronger can you leg press more than me yet? And if you can my new resolution will be to run a marathon (me going to hide in case I don't like the answer hahaha)

Mod

Oooh, yum!! @loves netball You've inspired me - I'm going to bake those next!

Top High Fived Authors