Super star contributor

Re: [GR] It's getting better! ...Wait, no. It's getting worse.

Recovery - when I'm eating half decent; functioning and have purpose in life

Relapse - too many crises and can't function - am in survival mode

Builder

Just about to jump on the computer so that I can reply to this easier!

But, to me, recovery means getting to a position where you can have strategies in place that help you deal with whatever you have going on. It means being in a position where you're able to care for yourself and achieve your goals.

Relapse to me is falling in to that same old pattern of not caring for yourself, and being stuck in a rut where everything feels way too overwhelming to deal with.
Mod

What do recovery and relapse mean to you?

For me, recovery means... no longer self-harming, and being able to accept it when I do slip up and relapse, and forgiving myself for it. I've had to do a bit of that lately. In a more general sense it means being brave enough to do things I never thought I'd be able to, like driving and having a job. I am so grateful for the ongoing process of my recovery for giving me the life I have today.

Relapse is something that is often emotion-provoking and hard to deal with, but I recognise that it is likely to happen, especially when I'm feeling particularly bad or my environment/family is particularly stressful.

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

"the dance of recovery" - I am very fond of that phrasing @StarLord! Smiley Very Happy

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Builder

I like everyone's definition.

@StarLord, can I just ask whether what you are describing as a relapse may be more of a setback or "dip"? I loved the dancing analogy btw Smiley Tongue
I wondered what you would call it when someone stops SH for a year, for example and then starts again?
... just curious Smiley Happy
Mod

I definitely agree with the idea of recovery as a jouney, @May_. I guess that incorporates the idea of there being less expectations of "reaching" recovery and allows for the mistakes and mis-steps that make us human

Mod

Mod

@loves netball it's great that you're able to recognise specific aspects of both relapse and recovery. Recognising them makes it easier to address them Smiley Happy

Builder

Hey @May_

And @Alison5, I think that's what I'd describe as a relapse personally...

Mod

@letitgo yeah I think wanting to achieve that state of recovery or of any large life goal type thing can be really overwhelming and seem like it will never happen
Top High Fived Authors